Forum

Full Version: SSH & Torrent password
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I set up my Raspberry Pi with XBian I installed the Transmission bittorrent client. In logging this with the browser I had to enter my username & password (default). Afterwards I SSH'ed into XBian & changed the default 'xbian' password but I found that the Transmission client still uses the old password when I log in from a browser on another computer.

Is this a security concern at all, even though the SSH password has been changed to a much longer & stronger one? Also how would I change the Transmission password?

What I would like to do really is (assuming there is no security concern) remove the log in requirements from accessing Transmission across my home LAN. I dont have port forwarding set up (yet) on my router so it is only internal traffic that will be logging onto it.
SSH into your raspberry and enter this in the command prompt
Terminal

nano /usr/local/etc/transmission/settings.json

Search for the password setting
Code:
"rpc-password": "raspberry"
change it and save the file and exit the editor, then restart transmission.
Terminal

sudo /etc/init.d/transmission restart
In settings.json there is a line saying, "rpc-password": "{2e44f839363cc3a69b062ca85d57cfeb0a91d707HTDFU50G", which I presume is my hashed password. I reset this to "rpc-password": "newpassword" but when I restarted Transmission the line reverted to what it was.

There is another line saying, "rpc-authentication-required": true, but even if I comment this out using # at the start, once I restart Transmission the # disappears & the line is as it was before I edited it. Also, replacing 'true' with 'false' doesnt last past a restart. Is there anything else I can try?
Stop transmission first with:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/transmission stop

Then change the settins file and start transmissoon again.
Reference URL's