Forum

Full Version: Can only see video /main display in top left corner of my TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I'm new to Xbian and to RPi. Have just installed Xbian onto my SD card in a Model B RPi and plugged the HDMI port of our Panasonic TV and also into a small 7" HD monitor (from Adafruit) and in both cases the main display and the video only cover perhaps 2/3 of the screen at the top left corner. The mouse pointer can go across the entire screen. See attached photo. I've tried to muck around with video settings and calibration but that just changes things slightly. It's very odd. Any help appreciated.

Configuration:
RPi model B (recent model with 512MB RAM), EMTEC class 4, 8gb SD card, powered off a 2.1A port of a large USB power bank (temporarily), with USB mouse and a USB SD card reader plugged into the USB. Fresh install of Xbian 1.0a5

I tried Raspbian yesterday and that worked OK but I was losing the edges of the display (need to change overscan setting?) and then I think I deleted the OS by trying to make the rest of the SD card visible and formatted for Windows. So tried Xbian instead.
Thanks, Benjamin
First, stop XBMC. Then open the guisettings.xml of XBMC with a text editor. For instance like this:
Terminal

nano ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

Search for the line
Code:
<screenmode>WINDOWED</screenmode>

And change it to
Code:
<screenmode>DESKTOP</screenmode>

Now start XBMC again.
as with desktop (mac, win) versions, the "\" key still works Big Grin
Thanks a lot Fred. So how do I do those things? Sorry I'm a noob at linux.
bkf11, the settings is the same as with desktop editions. it's toggle between full screen and window mode. and still works the \ key.

so you don't have to go down to system level.
Okay, that seems a bit less complicated Big Grin. Wish I knew when I had this issue.
On UK keyboards, it's the "#" key above the <shift> and next to <enter> (See image below). It's all too easy to hit this key instead of <enter>, especially when using "mini" keyboards as used with a home media centre.

I've done it many times.

Image of UK keyboard. http://tinyurl.com/ljzgnvw
yes, the position is the same.
Reference URL's