Forum

Full Version: How do I rename HDD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I just upgraded some of the packages and now have a fixed mount for the USB HDD. This is good. What isn't so good is that it now has 16 digit hex code for a name! At least USB0 was memorable! ;-)

I can rename it in XBMC/SYSTEM/File Manager but as soon as I hit 'done' it always reverts to it's hex code.

There's nothing in config on the SD card either. So, how do I change it to something more memorable?

Thanks

Skywatch.
See my profile for the set up.

Hmmm... Would it be safe to use NTFSLabel command and would it work on a USB attached drive?
Search and ye will find.

@Fred answered this in http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1031.html page 2.

Use a symbolic link
Thanks for the response IriDium.

I am still on 1A5 and not 1B1, but the update obviously applies to both that caused this to happen.

Will doing a symbolic link also change it on SMB connections? They too see it with the new 'name'...

Thanks

skywatch
Then you've applied something or you are running a non standard Alpha5. Stock alpha5 has USB mounted at /media/usbx it's only beta1 that has USB mounted as media./usb<UID>

The SMB name should not be affected.

A symbolic link is described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

It's like having Muv or 555-12345678 on your phone. It's both the same thing as far as the phone goes, ditto linux. If you address /media/usb-1234567689 it's the same as media/usb/xxxx depending on how you set up the link.
(30th Jun, 2013 09:20 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]I just upgraded some of the packages and now have a fixed mount for the USB HDD. This is good. What isn't so good is that it now has 16 digit hex code for a name! At least USB0 was memorable! ;-)

we can do an auto-symlink during mounting with only partition LABEL in name. ... if this is problem.

btw: functionality which takes mountpoint name from /etc/fstab (if record present) and uses this is still there.

you can put into /etc/fstab:
Code:
UUID=2423423-4324234-24-234234        /media/usb        ext4/xxx       noatime,rw,...       0        0
or
LABEL=my_label .....
or even old fashioned (and no recommended - if you are using more than one ext disk)
/dev/sdaX ....
Hi and thanks for the replies.

If it is a non-standard install I don't know how it happened. I just updated via xbian-config and then apt-get update. That's all.

It is a problem and will get worse as more disks are added to the system.

It would be good to have an option to add a NAME to a drive in set up or something so that this doesn't happen. I do like the fixed mount idea though and can see it will have advantages.

Ideally the drive would have the same name whether it is 'seen' from Xbian or via a SMB share.

I might try your ideas later on today if I get the time.

Thanks

Skywatch
Reference URL's