Forum

Full Version: HDMI "no signal" issue and weird fix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so I have read all about the no-signal issue with RPi and HDMI. I've done everything from:
hdmi_safe=1
to tweaking each of the hdmi settings individually (hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080; hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1; hdmi_drive=2; hdmi_group; etc). I've yet to find a combination that works by simply letting me turn my Vizio HDTV on, and then powering up the RPi, and then it working right. What happens is the red and green lights come on and stay on, but the TV continues to say "No Signal" and the networking never starts up (so I can't access it via ssh).

Here's the weirdness, and it reminds me of the move those guys in nuclear war movies have to perform where they have to turn the keys at the exact same moment. If I set the input to the HDMI port directly before the RPi's port (e.g. if the RPi is on HDMI 3, I set the TV to HDMI 2), flip to that port (e.g. with my TV's remote) and QUICKLY turn the RPi on, I can get it to boot. The timing has to be perfect, otherwise I get the "No signal". If the RPi turns on before the TV switches to the proper HDMI input, no good. If the TV is already on the new input, and the RPi is then turned on, also no go.

Although I enjoy the challenge of getting the timing perfect, does this particular issues recommend any specific (but less common) config.txt settings? I've worked my way through most of the common settings...

Edit: I'm running the latest: 1.0 Beta 1. Re: cable, I doubt it, since I've been using that cable to plug my laptop into the same TV with zero problems. I've tried upping the boost to 4 and then 9.
Have you actually read "Basic MUST rules How To post or report issue or any problem"?

The crucial thing here is what version of xbian are you running. Although the developers of xbian are superb, not all have ESP - I am an exception but it's shut off at the moment due to an "ICBB" situation.
looks like power issues or HDMI cable issue or wrong EDID detection
more detail need as mentioned and start narrowing down by testing different HW
I edited my original post, but basically: I'm running 1.0b1 (the latest), and the cable has previously worked fine with my laptop and, as I said, with "perfect" timing I can get it to work with the RPi. The HDTV is a Vizio E601I-A3. I've tried hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080, but are there other EDID tricks I can try out? Re: power issues -- I'm using a Belkin 4-port USB hub using one of the USB ports to power the RPi (as was suggested elsewhere on the interwebs).
Reference URL's