Forum

Full Version: NAS and Proxy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm trying to work on improving my parent's Pi running xbian, they are on satellite internet so suffer from high ping, and when they go over their 10gb monthly limit (Easy with Steam...) it slows to sub-dsl speeds. This is VERY noticable when updating the library in XBMC. I've setup a netbook that will be running the OpenMediaVault NAS distro and moving the external HDD off the Pi, I realize this shouldn't affect performance on the Pi as its still bottlenecked by usb, but this will allow faster access via the network.

The Pi is currently conected via WiFi, now, my idea is to connect the pi to the netbook via ethernet, then connect the netbook to the network via wifi.

Now for the main question: Since the Pi will be going through the netbook for network access now, (Via a bridge between wifi and lan), is there a way to cache tvdb calls to speed up library updates? Many shows in our collection are no longer airing so dont need updated info.
I have also tried generating nfo files but xbmc still tries scanning TVDB.
The netbook is running debian so I can easily install software.

It took several hours the other day to scan after updating to beta 1.1, this would me much quicker if I can cache the calls more locally
(I did a full reinstall to beta 1 then did the update to 1.1)
so first of all, rescan even with reinstall is not needed. you can do export on video library and then import.

the nfo files can by source of information (more or less even the xbmc library export is putting the info into nfo files if chosen so), but if any kind of information xbmc can scrap is missing, it will access all the scrap media webs to get details again.

setup with http proxy works nice, I'm using squid. but the problem is, that online video content can't be fast forwarded then (so skipping is not possible). there are some very very long how to documents how to create even media streaming proxy for such content, but requires significant knowledge and patience.

so after all, I stopped using the proxy.

btw: there is still one solution and it is with transparent proxy. you don;t set proxy usage in the XBMC(rpi), but on you gateway / router you create DNAT for web traffic to go to ip:port of your squid proxy instead + you set squid to transparent proxy mode. and the point is, you take out from the DNAT sites you use frequently and wants to be able to skip through the video. the how to is short and easy.
I wont have to worry about online streaming video, they (My parents) have a 10gb a month bandwidth limit.

I've been playing with the netbook, and it looks like Sick Beard is capable of generating nfo files targeted at XBMC, haven't been able to tell if it added enough to avoid tvdb calls, but may install squid tomorrow to try.

I didnt eve know xbmc had a import and export. I will have to try it sometime. Does it work even when media location has changed? (Such as moving from a local usb hdd to a NAS share)

Also, which actually does better with xbian, NFS, or CIFS (Samba)?
(22nd Jul, 2013 02:02 PM)ags131 Wrote: [ -> ]I didnt eve know xbmc had a import and export. I will have to try it sometime. Does it work even when media location has changed? (Such as moving from a local usb hdd to a NAS share)

Also, which actually does better with xbian, NFS, or CIFS (Samba)?

Yes and NFS.
Reference URL's