Forum

Full Version: Configuring Bluetooth headset to work with XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Here is my setup details:

Raspberry PI - Model B (512MB RAM)
Xbian version - 1.0Beta 1.1
Overclocked - Yes, 950Mhz core
SD Card - Class 4, Transcend 4GB
Bluetooth Adapter - ASUS BT-211
Bluetooth headset - DEL BH200

So, I've been trying to setup XBMC to send audio to my bluetooth headset and video to hdmi - I've not found success yet. As a last resort, I wanted to post in this forum for help. This is what I've done so far:

1) Starting dbus service.
2) Installing bluetooth package (bluez util)
3) Installing alsa package.
4) Adding my bluetooth headset as a trusted device.
5) Configure asound.conf to include my headset.
6) Playing a test file on paired headset using aplay.

All I need to do now (according to guides on the internet) is go into XBMC ->Settings->System->Audio and configure my headset as a custom audio device. However, this is where I am stuck - no matter what I do, I do not get an option to specify a custom audio device - this option is not enabled at all. I just have Analog, HDMI and All, when I select Analog, I have no option to specify a custom audio device.

What do I do here? How do I setup up XBMC to send audio to my headset?
this will not wotk as XBMC on RPi dont support Alsa
so, I have pretty much no options? (I am assuming this applies to OpenELEC and Raspbmc as well?)
I would say yes.
Raspbmc have created their own Alsa build some time ago but im not sure if thats still supported as it was buggy.This was pure Raspbmc try and not XBMC
(22nd Jul, 2013 06:00 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]I would say yes.
Raspbmc have created their own Alsa build some time ago but im not sure if thats still supported as it was buggy.This was pure Raspbmc try and not XBMC

Ok. That's rather sad. So, even if I get raspbian first, configure it to use bluetooth audio and then install xbmc on it - that's not going to work either I guess?
(22nd Jul, 2013 07:42 PM)fedexp Wrote: [ -> ]

Ok. That's rather sad. So, even if I get raspbian first, configure it to use bluetooth audio and then install xbmc on it - that's not going to work either I guess?

that may work but you will never get the performance of fine tuned distros like XBian or Openelec
(22nd Jul, 2013 09:22 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]
(22nd Jul, 2013 07:42 PM)fedexp Wrote: [ -> ]

that may work but you will never get the performance of fine tuned distros like XBian or Openelec

Ok. I am getting really desperate right now with the bluetooth stuff. I am not a bad programmer - so, Can I just fork Xbian src and make some changes to make xbmc work with bluetooth? Or I am a attempting a task that I won't get any support on?
it's not a bluetooth problem,
you can set a bluetooth dongle with xbian,
but it's a probleme with alsa for audio.
and no, or in a very difficult way, you can't fork xbian to add alsa.
as @belese said and also you won't get much support from RPi firmware or XBMC guys
(22nd Jul, 2013 11:03 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]as @belese said and also you won't get much support from RPi firmware or XBMC guys

Well.. its a dealbreaker then - have to quit using raspberry pi for media stuff, build myself a windows compatible mini-ITX form media device.
Given the importance of bluetooth audio (I mean, nothing else in the market that is an alternative to wireless audio really works - rf wireless sucks, wifi based wireless audio is just too expensive), it's rather sad and strange that xbmc guys wouldn't focus on fixing it.

Any idea if Gotham and an Xbian release that would incorporate Gotham would likely fix this bluetooth issue?
as mentioned before,it is alsa support not the BT.
And there is an issue between hw/sw of RPi
They tried and may still trying but as far as I know the issue is A/V sync where hitting HW limitation of RPi.
Just do a search on XBMC and RPi forum sites for Alsa on RPi
What about this kind of device : http://www.amazon.fr/Transmetteur-Adaptateur-Bluetooth-tablettes-ordinateurs/dp/B008GVETNE/ref=pd_sim_ce_5

Doesn't cost much and allows you to use rpi with bluetooth headsets.
It won't be all digital on the other hand.
(8th Nov, 2013 05:27 PM)mbritto Wrote: [ -> ]What about this kind of device : http://www.amazon.fr/Transmetteur-Adaptateur-Bluetooth-tablettes-ordinateurs/dp/B008GVETNE/ref=pd_sim_ce_5

Doesn't cost much and allows you to use rpi with bluetooth headsets.
It won't be all digital on the other hand.

yes,it would work as it use analog audio as an input
(22nd Jul, 2013 11:55 PM)fedexp Wrote: [ -> ]Given the importance of bluetooth audio (I mean, nothing else in the market that is an alternative to wireless audio really works - rf wireless sucks, wifi based wireless audio is just too expensive), it's rather sad and strange that xbmc guys wouldn't focus on fixing it.

Any idea if Gotham and an Xbian release that would incorporate Gotham would likely fix this bluetooth issue?

it is not about ignoring the problem, but about other problems or new functionalities being preferred.

there is 1/2 old RaspBMC manually patched to work with alsa, it's version 12.1. But no way to upgrade and 12.1 has some real issues.

Sam wanted to move the port to 12.2 (or Gotham) as well, but after some time took it down from to-do list, for now. current 12.2 frodo has so much changes due to backports from Gotham, that it was almost impossible to keep the old code running.

no personal tip about Gotham or any general timeline for this. almost for sure not for Gotham start, .., as later update - no idea.

btw: raspbian + xbmc install will not solve it as it is XBMC issue - no support. doesn;t matter wheter xbmc got installed by you or with elegant distro.
Reference URL's