Forum

Full Version: Installation problem to new pi board (Model B)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey,

I have just bought a new Pi Model B (with Marvell chip that is different from the previous version as far as I understood)

After installing from the installer, and starting the Pi, only the red led is on and there is no signal to the TV and sadly Xbian doesn't boot.

I have validated that my Pi is Ok, and SD is OK, took the SD card installation to a Samsung chip Pi and all worked ok.
I am now using the NOOBS image with OpenELEC and Suffer from it Sad

please assist with how can I install Xbian on my Pi
this looks like firmware/kernel issue probably???
Have you tried search RPi forum for clues?
Rename the firmware files on your /boot xbian installation and transfer the firmware from /boot on your openelec installation to /boot on your xbian installation.

If this doesn't work it is a kernel issue that should be reported.
I'm having the exact same problem with the pi I got delivered today from RS. The red PWR led is turn on all the time, and the green ACT led makes a single blink, and not output on the hdmi port.

By copying all the /boot files over from raspbian (via NOOBS) and modifying the cmdline.txt, the kernel loads but fails at "PANIC: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block" probally due to missing BTRS support?!?!

By using the same sd card on an older pi, everything works as expected.
(8th Aug, 2013 12:03 PM)casperbiering Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having the exact same problem with the pi I got delivered today from RS. The red PWR led is turn on all the time, and the green ACT led makes a single blink, and not output on the hdmi port.

By copying all the /boot files over from raspbian (via NOOBS) and modifying the cmdline.txt, the kernel loads but fails at "PANIC: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block" probally due to missing BTRS support?!?!

By using the same sd card on an older pi, everything works as expected.

Does your Pi have Hynix or Samsung ram?
(8th Aug, 2013 12:04 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Does your Pi have Hynix or Samsung ram?

Neither, I think. See attached picture of the board.
I too have the new board with the Marvell RAM. My image isn't booting either.
i got the same problem....
can anyone help us?

thanks in advance

(11th Aug, 2013 12:13 AM)willprice94 Wrote: [ -> ]I too have the new board with the Marvell RAM. My image isn't booting either.
I have messaged a developer regarding the issue, I already know it's a difference in RAM timings and requires different firmware/kernel.

There currently is no resolution, please hold off on using Xbian if you have Marvell RAM in your RPi until we get this worked out.
(11th Aug, 2013 06:07 PM)pipes Wrote: [ -> ]i got the same problem....
can anyone help us?

thanks in advance

(11th Aug, 2013 12:13 AM)willprice94 Wrote: [ -> ]I too have the new board with the Marvell RAM. My image isn't booting either.

as I said, I'm pretty sure that this would be related to the firmware. Try to load latest firmware and see what happens. Not easy to help here as none of us has the boards with this new chip on it so we have nothing to test it on
(11th Aug, 2013 06:19 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]
can anyone help us?

thanks in advance

as I said, I'm pretty sure that this would be related to the firmware. Try to load latest firmware and see what happens. Not easy to help here as none of us has the boards with this new chip on it so we have nothing to test it on

+1

You can find the latest firmware here:

https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware
(11th Aug, 2013 06:29 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]
can anyone help us?

thanks in advance

+1

Just to be clear, by load the firmware I meant just manually copy the FW files over to SD card. Do not use update commands!
(11th Aug, 2013 06:55 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11th Aug, 2013 06:29 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]
can anyone help us?

thanks in advance

+1

Just to be clear, by load the firmware I meant just manually copy the FW files over to SD card. Do not use update commands!

Right just download and copy over to /boot, it's why I pointed straight to firmware.
I would agree that this is caused by the latest firmware.

This morning I tried to update to the latest version on Hexxeh's page and got the same results. Just the red led and no activity. So I think there's something amiss in the current release.

Went back to the previous version and all is well again.

skywatch
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's