Forum

Full Version: SMB not showing on 1b1.1, but shows on android!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI all.

New NAS is up and running now, but I can't see the NAS on the SMB shares when I go to add files to video or music.

When I use the android tablet and look at the SMB network, it's all there, but not a thing in the XBMC menu.

I tried to add NFS but that is out of my experience level.

I can see it on UPNP, but then there is no option to scan to library.

Can anyone give me a clue where I might have gone wrong?

skywatch
are you sure is on same network (WORKGROUP,HOME,etc)?
THanks for the reply Rikardo.

Yes it shows on the correct workgroup on the android and I can browse files and stream media.
It doesn't show in network on xp or win7 but I can mount it as a network drive using the supplied 'configurator'.
Pi/Xbian/XBMC doesn't see it except as a upnp device.

Ideally I would like to set it up with NFS, but I believe that then I won't be able to share with the windows boxes and so cifs/smb is the next best choice.

I tried the following (from the web) but don't really understand the result, except that it can't mount it! Wink

sudo mount -t cifs -o username="admin",password="********" //192.168.1.222/volume1 mnt/smb
Couldn't chdir to mnt/smb: No such file or directory

Then I did......

sudo smbclient -L //192.168.1.222
WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
xbian@Cinema ~ $ Enter root's password:
> Domain=[DARKSTAR] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6]
>
> Sharename Type Comment
> --------- ---- -------
> Volume1 Disk
> ST332082-0AS1 Disk
> Cooking Disk
> Media Disk
> admin Disk
> photo Disk
> public Disk
> IPC$ IPC IPC Service ("NSA325")
> Domain=[DARKSTAR] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6]
>
> Server Comment
> --------- -------
> NSA325 NSA325
>
> Workgroup Master
> --------- -------
> DARKSTAR

That looks promising.

I have a thought that the pi *was* set up as a samba server for the usb drive and now needs to be a client for the nas. - But that still doesn't explain why the android sees it no problem and yet the pi and wondows doesn't!

Pulling my hair out now!

skywatch

Well I got it working! Smile Smile Smile

After 1.5 days of going throughh menus, looking online, reading web pages that made little sense and gasping for a pint of beer, it's done.

The culprit? Jumbo Frame Support.

Turn this off and it's showing on the pi's and windoze computers.

Skywatch.
nice one and thx for feedback
BTW you can set your shares as SMB and also same share as NFS. so you can access same files from Win using SMB and from RPi as NFS Wink
Well at least my system allows me to do so

EDIT: Also once your problem is resolved, please mark your thread as Solved by editing first post and changing the prefix. I did it this time for you Wink
-thx-
(5th Aug, 2013 08:37 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]The culprit? Jumbo Frame Support.

interesting. I have similar experience, but nobody else was reporting, so I wasn't either.

I first realized it immediately as I bought RPI. before that, I was running Jumbo on all devices in my house which supported it and never have had any issue (as already 10$ switches in network can make this work with no issues between all type of equipment)

but rpi was different. I booted from NFS, it was working, but next day in the morning RPI was frozen. then again and again and I realized, that it's the connection to device providing network storage, which eventually stops and takes whole RPI to dearth until power off/on.

I was quite sad that time, because without Jumbo the speeds during communications to it wen't down from 70MB/s to 20, 25 maybe.

So I just wan't to confirm, you are not the only one with JF causing troubles which are but pointing to everything else but hw net low level configuration .

Matus
Thanks both for the support and feedback.

That's interesting that you had similar problems Matus. I have just re-enabled JF support (9k) and so far all is well - figure that one out! Wink

I will continue testing this week and report back if I find anything of interest.

Next up will be to try NFS and then a shared MySql db on the nas.

Should be an interesting few weeks ahead!

Cheers!

Skywatch
(5th Aug, 2013 11:54 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks both for the support and feedback.

That's interesting that you had similar problems Matus. I have just re-enabled JF support (9k) and so far all is well - figure that one out! Wink

I will continue testing this week and report back if I find anything of interest.

Next up will be to try NFS and then a shared MySql db on the nas.

Should be an interesting few weeks ahead!

Cheers!

Skywatch

the best way to thanks or show gratitude to some one who helped is just simply click on "Give Reputation to user" icon on the left part of each post Wink By doing this than people can easily recognize person who is helpful, experienced, etc Wink
Hi Skywatch,

Glad you solved your problem! :-)

I had the same problem, network name not showing but reachable through ip address.
The culprit was: My subnetmask did not match..
I had to change it from 255.255.0.0 to 255.255.255.0 that did the trick!
Hopefully I can help someone with this information!

Cheers,
Hack

(5th Aug, 2013 08:37 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Well I got it working! Smile Smile Smile

After 1.5 days of going throughh menus, looking online, reading web pages that made little sense and gasping for a pint of beer, it's done.

The culprit? Jumbo Frame Support.

Skywatch.
Thanks for posting your problem and solution. You are right, it might help someone else! Smile
Reference URL's