Forum

Full Version: Network gone after a few min,
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have no problem after upgrading to Alpha 4 Smile
I think it's solved finally. It caused by the powered usb hub.
I had the same issue after overclocking. It was fixed by overclocking more. Tongue
Hi, hope it's ok that I resurrect the thread because my problem is similar.

The image I'm using is Xbian Beta 1.0 Beta 1.1.

I'm using the Wi-Fi Dongle Edimax EW-7811Un and it's plugged into a powered USB-Hub (Logilink UA0160).

I set up the Wi-Fi connection in xbian-config and it works fine. But when I try to actually use the W-Fi connection for more than pinging 8.8.8.8 or local network IPs (like apt-get install packages) the connection stops working and won't come back.

When I try sudo ifdown wlan0 it says
interface wlan0 not configured

sudo ifup wlan0 gives:
operation not permitted
invalid argument

When I reboot, it works again until I use the connection again.

Any ideas what I can do or what the problem might be?

Thanks a lot.
Have you tried plugging the dongle directly into the Pi?
(6th Sep, 2013 05:21 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried plugging the dongle directly into the Pi?

Thanks a lot for the tip, it seems to work, at least for now. The reason why I didn't do this before was because the external hard drive has slightly higher write speeds when it's directly hooked up to the Pi instead of to the hub.

Any idea what the reason is why the dongle isn't working with the hub? I read that the hub was supported by the Pi and it should have enough power, right?
I'm not certain why, if I had to guess I would say unclean power.
@Tokeloshe. If it helps - I've had similar problems - albeit with a wireless receiver. It wouldn't work in the Hub but did in the RPi. - possibly boot priorities. I've also had problems with a "Recommended" hub but that hub failed. To check to see if the hub is suffering check the output in #dmesg and see if there any errors related to that USB device. If it is a power issue you should see something related to that device and a error code or something (82 - springs to mind).
Hello,
I have a similar problem.
I have no wifi dongle but ethernet cable.
I have no usb device at all.
The only special is I have 2 vlan, one for local area with nas and internet and the other for ip tv.

If I wait a long time the network is no longer usable.
Ping for the local router is ok but ping for http://www.google.com doesn't work.

So when I want to use the system I have to shut down before...

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
(7th Sep, 2013 05:10 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]@Tokeloshe. If it helps - I've had similar problems - albeit with a wireless receiver. It wouldn't work in the Hub but did in the RPi. - possibly boot priorities. I've also had problems with a "Recommended" hub but that hub failed. To check to see if the hub is suffering check the output in #dmesg and see if there any errors related to that USB device. If it is a power issue you should see something related to that device and a error code or something (82 - springs to mind).

(23rd Sep, 2013 05:45 AM)Vorms Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
The only special is I have 2 vlan, one for local area with nas and internet and the other for ip tv.

Ping for the local router is ok but ping for http://www.google.com doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.

ive always had this problem. the network disconnects, and i cant use yatse remote. im not even on wireless either, i just use a tplink nano router plugged in by ethernet. it works great when it works, but it seems like when there is high traffic, like streaming radio, the network either chokes or loses power. it just locks up, and i have tried 3 different pi's now, and 3 different main routers. the only thing i havent tried is another nano router, but i doubt thats the problem because it works fine when not going through the pi.

it might just be dirty supply power i suppose... right now i have a 12v switching to 5v converter, and that goes into a +5v linear regulator. not much audio noise but maybe i need an LC filter.
(22nd Oct, 2013 07:31 AM)resinis Wrote: [ -> ]
(7th Sep, 2013 05:10 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]@Tokeloshe. If it helps - I've had similar problems - albeit with a wireless receiver. It wouldn't work in the Hub but did in the RPi. - possibly boot priorities. I've also had problems with a "Recommended" hub but that hub failed. To check to see if the hub is suffering check the output in #dmesg and see if there any errors related to that USB device. If it is a power issue you should see something related to that device and a error code or something (82 - springs to mind).

(23rd Sep, 2013 05:45 AM)Vorms Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

Thanks in advance.

ive always had this problem. the network disconnects, and i cant use yatse remote. im not even on wireless either, i just use a tplink nano router plugged in by ethernet. it works great when it works, but it seems like when there is high traffic, like streaming radio, the network either chokes or loses power. it just locks up, and i have tried 3 different pi's now, and 3 different main routers. the only thing i havent tried is another nano router, but i doubt thats the problem because it works fine when not going through the pi.

it might just be dirty supply power i suppose... right now i have a 12v switching to 5v converter, and that goes into a +5v linear regulator. not much audio noise but maybe i need an LC filter.

Hi,
Be careful, you can't have a linear 5 V regulator powered by a 5 V switching power supply.
Your 5V linear regulator must be powered by a 6 V at least voltage.
I had a similar problem because of dbus not starting or closing itself after a while.
Check if dbus is running!
Terminal
sudo ps aux | grep 'dbus'
[/quote]

Hi,
Be careful, you can't have a linear 5 V regulator powered by a 5 V switching power supply.
Your 5V linear regulator must be powered by a 6 V at least voltage.
[/quote]

well of course Tongue i tested with voltage before i plugged anything in. the switching regulator is like 3-16v adjustable output... so after the linear regulator i have 5.06v Smile
Was the router!! I finally gave up and set the router to "router" mode, which doesnt let it connect to another network for a "repeating" mode.

been working great for 3 days. I ordered a WR703N which is the next model up.. it has more ram and able to flash DDWRT. Hopefully, either the extra ram will stop the choking or the open firmware will communicate better with my existing network.
(25th Oct, 2013 11:09 AM)resinis Wrote: [ -> ]Was the router!! I finally gave up and set the router to "router" mode, which doesnt let it connect to another network for a "repeating" mode.

been working great for 3 days. I ordered a WR703N which is the next model up.. it has more ram and able to flash DDWRT. Hopefully, either the extra ram will stop the choking or the open firmware will communicate better with my existing network.

DD-WRT is nice but Tomato (Victek or Shibby MOD) is a bit nicer. I have an RT-N16 running Victek as a wireless client with a virtual interface, thus allowing a broader household range. Never had an issue in three years with this setup, plus I can plug in a thumb drive to the router and let minidlna broadcast the movies and music to the rest of the network.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's