Forum

Full Version: NFS headache!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Just been trying to use NFS between the pi and nas instead of SMB to see what the difference would be.

I added a NFS share under Video>Files etc.
Showmount lists the share fine.
XBMC shows the share and files within it in System > File Manager.

But, when I try to access it from the Video>Files I can see the share and click on it, but it won't open and show the files there for selection.

Could this be due to the nas running ext4 internally?
Is it something else? Is there a work-around?

skywatch.
is it nfs3 or nfs4 export ?

how the export file (or settings) look like? did you try to mount the nfs export in the system via mount?

"mount -t nfs(nfs4) server:/share /mnt"

?
Thanks for the tip there mk01.

I have it mounted now (confirmed in the nas as well) but still can only see the directory in xbmc and not the sub folders with the files. I have deleted and re-added the share and still no sign of the folder contents. The contents are there, I can see them if I log into the nas.

Can you think of anything else it might be?

Cheers!

Skywatch
(16th Aug, 2013 08:10 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]I have it mounted now (confirmed in the nas as well) but still can only see the directory in xbmc and not the sub folders with the files. I have deleted and re-added the share and still no sign of the folder contents.

ok, but what you see through "ls -la /mountpoint" from console of RPI? we will go back to XBMC if you will see the files there.

what are exports definitions on the NAS?
As you are on Beta 1.1 can you check that DBUS is running. It seems a similar problem to USB mounts not being seen.

Start DBUS and restart XBMC and see if that makes any difference.
Beta 1.2

I'm getting exactly the same problem. Setup my NAS for NFS and as Skywatch says - The folders are there in XBMC but you cannot select them.

Showmount - shows the forlders.
Mount: Errors with No such device.

log shows
16:53:23 T:3042545664 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.0.8/mnt/HD_a2/N_Music/) failed
16:53:23 T:2879386688 ERROR: Failed to open(//) opendir call failed with "Server responded: Program not available"
16:53:23 T:3042545664 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.0.8/mnt/HD_a2/N_Music/
I asked two times and will ask again:

how the export file looks like on the NAS?

also please send output "rpcinfo -p 192.168.0.8". and remember, that XBMC can internally browse NFS ver 2,3 only.
@mk01. The problem I have is that I have never used my NAS on XBMC with NFS before - always using it with SMB. Coupled with not having native ssh nor NFS installed and the filesystem being held in ROM, it's difficult to test.

I've managed to hack it so ssh is available and installed a NFS server.

No matter what I do to exports, even just (rw,insecure) it's the same. It cannot be added via what I would expect XBMC->Music->Add source->NFS->192.168.0.8->N_Music.

Standard exports is:
"/mnt/HD_a2/N_Music" 192.168.0.2/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync,no_wdelay,insecure_lo
cks,no_subtree_check,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

I've tried mucking around with values and then exportfs -ra but nothing seems to work.

However, I can get it mounted if I use fstab and browse via XBMC to /mnt/N_Music

For me. It looks like it is the Version of NFS as mine is showing as Ver 1.
(25th Aug, 2013 07:04 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Standard exports is:
"/mnt/HD_a2/N_Music" 192.168.0.2/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync,no_wdelay,insecure_lo

without "insecure" option XBMC running under non-root user will never be allowed to connect (as source port <1024 is needed and non-root user can't use those ports).

i'm sure this is the whole "problem".
(26th Aug, 2013 12:57 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(25th Aug, 2013 07:04 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Standard exports is:

without "insecure" option XBMC running under non-root user will never be allowed to connect (as source port <1024 is needed and non-root user can't use those ports).

i'm sure this is the whole "problem".

...but I changed exports to (rw,insecure) ran exportfs -ra and it was still the same problem.

I'll never be able to get it running properly as the filesystem is held in ROM so any reboot sets it back to normal.
(26th Aug, 2013 01:28 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]...but I changed exports to (rw,insecure) ran exportfs -ra and it was still the same problem.

I'll never be able to get it running properly as the filesystem is held in ROM so any reboot sets it back to normal.

what is "ls -la /mnt/HD_a2/" and "ls -la /mnt/HD_a2/N_Music"

btw: there must be some kind of auto exec script and rewritable place to hold at least user configuration. should be possible to inject with a /etc/exportfs file.

just to be sure it's the insecure option, under root (or sudo) do from RPI:

mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3 192.168.0.2:/mnt/HD_a2/N_Music /mnt

then do a ls on /mnt

last possibility to fail (and it should fail even when mounted from RPI as root) is that your NAS maps mountd process to privileged ports. and if there is fw on the NAS, those port will not be accessible (NFS SYN packets to ports < 1024 usually gets dropped).
It probably is the insecure option as I can mount them in fstab (which is run as root) and then add them to XBMC via mnt/N_Music.

I could test it by starting XBMC as root and see if that works.

Will give that a go later.

It's not an issue, I thought I would just test it and see if it was any faster than smb. Beta 1.2 is more important at the moment.

My problem is discussed here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108429

alt-f http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/ seems to be the way to go for DNS 323 users. It has the ability to add ALL options to the exports file, especially insecure.
(26th Aug, 2013 02:07 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I could test it by starting XBMC as root and see if that works.

you don't have to, it is the insecure. I'm not sure -r command refreshes export options as well (I have the feeling it just removes obsolete exports and adds new).

anyhow you have direction where to go.
Reference URL's