Forum

Full Version: rpi crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(don't know if this is the best section, if not, can a mod please move it?)

Hi, yesterday I instaled a fresh beta 1.1, (before I had raspbian + xbmc package) and now every 10 minutes the rpi/xbmc becomes unresponsive. no ssh / no cec on the screen, nothing. Does anyone knows where should I start looking? any log? Its a fresh xbian beta1.1 with 2 custom packages brige-utils and hostapd. oc'ed to medium. thanks in advance.
i would for initial pinpointing

1) remove all over clock from config.txt
2) start with xbmc disabled

wait 10 minutes, if ok, put over clock back reboot, wait 10 minutes …

did you check "dmesg" output even right after boot for some unexpected oopses, or errors? check it.
(14th Aug, 2013 08:22 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]i would for initial pinpointing

did you check "dmesg" output even right after boot for some unexpected oopses, or errors? check it.

ok, will do.
(14th Aug, 2013 08:25 PM)networkpadawan Wrote: [ -> ]
(14th Aug, 2013 08:22 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]i would for initial pinpointing

ok, will do.

also if you turn on debuging and get the log you may find some clue in it Wink
Check my signature for link how to post Wink
-thx-
well here is my log http://pastebin.com/Z1x0KQAW

with oc and without oc the crashes continue...must dig deeper
with and without XBMC started ?
(15th Aug, 2013 04:13 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]with and without XBMC started ?

xbmc starts on boot but I tested with it stoped after booting...same result
  • are you connected over RJ45 or WiFi(if WiFi adaptor is used is it plugged directly or over self powered USB Hub)?
  • any device except self power ones plugged into RPis USB ports?
  • details of your PSU
these are all basic details which we usually ask and you can find about it in helpful "How to" post, link in my signature
then the only thing I can recommend is:

1) remove loglevel=0 from cmdline.txt
2) let rpi start
3) quit xbmc
4) log into console
5) sudo -i
6) setterm -blank 0
7) service sysklogd start
8) tailf /var/log/syslog & > /dev/console
9) tailf /var/log/kernel & > /dev/console
10) tailf /var/log/dmesg & > /dev/console

and then wait and hopefully something gets on to the screen before you freeze.
This wasn't happening until you enabled hostapd right?
update. reflashed the card with disabled oc, so far no issues. the only 2 things that might be of interest are on dmesg:
phy0 -> rt2800usb_txdone: Warning - Got TX status for an empty queue 2, dropping
phy0 -> rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 6 in queue 2
phy0 -> rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 6 in queue 2
phy0 -> rt2800usb_txdone: Warning - Got TX status for an empty queue 2, dropping

and at boot
init: Unable to connect to the system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

hostapd and bridge-utils are still there so I don't believe they are the culprits.
Access point uses more energy than simply being a client, I'm assuming you have the wireless dongle plugged directly into the Pi?

It seems to be a power issue being removing the overclock helped your problem.
(17th Aug, 2013 07:49 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Access point uses more energy than simply being a client, I'm assuming you have the wireless dongle plugged directly into the Pi?

It seems to be a power issue being removing the overclock helped your problem.
yes you are correct
but with other rpi same psu and same wifi antenna but a simple debian installation the problem didnt occur, even with oc enabled
All hardware is not created equal.
Reference URL's