Forum

Full Version: Startup with variable resolution and framerate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am running Xbian 1.0 beta 1.1 on my Model B 512mb Pi.

I would like to be able to power up the Pi without turning on my AV amp and TV but when I do this, Xbian defaults in 720p 60hz. Any video files I play will also only play at this resolution and framerate but I want to play files in their native resolution and framerate. I have changed the system setting to display at 1080p and I have also enabled "sync framerate to match video" in the video settings. The TV and amp are capable of 1080p 24hz and if I turn on the Amp and TV before the Pi this all works fine in full 1080p and the video's native framerate. I tried adding the
'hdmi_mode=32' to the config.txt but then everything plays at 1080p 24hz which is no good for some video files I have.

Is there a way I can turn on my Pi without having to turn on the Amp and TV but still get playback of all files in their native resolution and framerate? I am guessing I need an EDID.dat for this but I do not know how to make one and could not find a thread or google result for this, so if anyone knows of a guide for beginners, that would be great. Or another solution?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
(15th Aug, 2013 06:34 PM)Dalsim Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I am running Xbian 1.0 beta 1.1 on my Model B 512mb Pi.

I would like to be able to power up the Pi without turning on my AV amp and TV but when I do this, Xbian defaults in 720p 60hz. Any video files I play will also only play at this resolution and framerate but I want to play files in their native resolution and framerate. I have changed the system setting to display at 1080p and I have also enabled "sync framerate to match video" in the video settings. The TV and amp are capable of 1080p 24hz and if I turn on the Amp and TV before the Pi this all works fine in full 1080p and the video's native framerate. I tried adding the
'hdmi_mode=32' to the config.txt but then everything plays at 1080p 24hz which is no good for some video files I have.

Is there a way I can turn on my Pi without having to turn on the Amp and TV but still get playback of all files in their native resolution and framerate? I am guessing I need an EDID.dat for this but I do not know how to make one and could not find a thread or google result for this, so if anyone knows of a guide for beginners, that would be great. Or another solution?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
your CEC not working as it should clearly. When you have installed XBian first time and you boot up first time from this card, did you have all the HDMI devices ON and TV on the input where RPi is connected? If not than this might be the problem as sometime or more likely the CEC get wrong settings as it miss some device in chain of connections.
You may try manual setup if you run cec-config from command and do the settings(not available anymore, sorry my bad) so you may try what mk01 mentioned
Quote: I was able to restore it by stopping XBMC, removing /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/peripheral_data/rpi_2708_1001.xml and starting XBMC again

- or also you may edit this file if you know how to do (some basics about values for libCEC on Pulse-eight FAQs)
- or you may try reflash XBian and make sure all HDMI devs are ON prior to first boot

Give it a try and get back yo us Wink
@Dalsim

the whole setup is supposed to work as you say. My setup is Yamaha AV with Samsung screen (1920x1080p 60hz max), Xbian set to 1080 and hz is following video file fps.

Xbian is 1080, playing videos is 1080 (with of course upscaling for lower resolution videos) and HZ is properly adjusted to video file.

You are the first reporting this not work. Try according to Rikardo, he is HDMI guru. I can just share my config.txt with you which is in that setting different from defaults: hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

(But I suppose this should not be related)
Wow, thanks for the super fast replies!

Yes, I did have all devices in the chain powered on when I powered up my 1st ever Xbian run. Xbian runs fine at 1080p and syncs framerate if I have my amp and TV on 1st but I wanted to be able to power on the Raspberry Pi without the TV and amp being on. But if I do this Xbian will only output everything at 1280x720@60hz.

I have tried: enebling and disabling "hdmi_ignore_cec" and "hdmi_ignore_cec_init" I have tried adding "hdmi_group=1" and "hdmi_drive=2".

As I said, when the Amp and TV is on and I power up Xbian, everything is fine, so is there a way I can copy all the data from the edid.dat and then save that as the edid.dat file. Then I could perhaps use "hdmi_edid_file=1" so that Xbian uses this data on startup even when the Pi powers up with Tv and Amp off?

If this is possible, I would appreciate someone telling me how to do this?

Thanks again.
well you can do so if you like. You can force to read the resolutions from edit.dat file instead of detecting from screen.
To enable this you need to add this line into your /boot/config.txt but do this step after you create the edit.dat
Code:
hdmi_edid_file=1

But there is something not right with your CEC for sure as when you turn the RPi ON it should turn on the AVR and TV on right input automatically, so when this is not working it means you have an issue.

Anyway to do that what you want just follow the steps from RPi config site
Quote:Which values are valid for my monitor?

Your HDMI monitor may support only a limited set of formats. To find out which formats are supported, use the following method.

Set the output format to VGA 60Hz (hdmi_group=1 hdmi_mode=1) and boot up the Raspberry Pi
Enter the following command to give a list of CEA supported modes

Terminal
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA

Enter the following command to give a list of DMT supported modes

Terminal
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m DMT

Enter the following command to show your current state

Terminal
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -s

Enter the following commands to dump more detailed information from your monitor

Terminal
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat
/opt/vc/bin/edidparser edid.dat
BTW what TV and AVR do you have connected? I mean exact models so I may have a look into it.
And also did you try add the
Code:
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
into /boot/config.txt ?
(15th Aug, 2013 09:10 PM)Dalsim Wrote: [ -> ]Xbian runs fine at 1080p and syncs framerate if I have my amp and TV on 1st but I wanted to be able to power on the Raspberry Pi without the TV and amp being on. But if I do this Xbian will only output everything at 1280x720@60hz.

Just to clear it up, I understand. I forgot to write it into my message, but for me it's still the same regardless of TV/AV turned on/off during start of RPI/XBMC.

so I hope you manage it somehow with Rikardo.
Reference URL's