Forum

Full Version: Pi Freezes/reboots when trying to OC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey everybody !
i just installed the new beta 1.1 , fresh install.
i have one hdd connected trough an external powered usb hub.
Now i'm running the pi on the "xbian" profile in OC settings.
everything works fine this way.
If i try to overclock the pi Xbian freezes/restarts ; before it was no problem.
normally i was running the pi on the high setting (2v overvolt).
did anyone experienced the same problem ?
I needed i can make a debuglog.

Thanks in advance !
We will need to see
1) /boot/config.txt with your OC running.
2) Output from dmesg with your OC running

See my signature on how to post a log file.

Also, why do you need to OC? Xbian in Xbian OC should be fast enough for all your needs!
(17th Aug, 2013 11:26 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]We will need to see
1) /boot/config.txt with your OC running.
2) Output from dmesg with your OC running

See my signature on how to post a log file.

Also, why do you need to OC? Xbian in Xbian OC should be fast enough for all your needs!

1)config.txt
http://pastebin.com/XCtCbRf3
2) dmesg output
http://pastebin.com/JexpiT5B

I like to have some extra programs runinning in background. That's why i OC the pi.
1) Have you upgraded to the latest packages? If not, try updating them.
2) What rating is your power supply?
3) Try without the HDD attached.
(18th Aug, 2013 01:09 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]1) Have you upgraded to the latest packages? If not, try updating them.

1) i'm using the latest beta. fresh install from your installer if that's what you mean ?
2) power supply should be ok (5V 2A)
3) i don't have problems without the drive attatched. but it was working fine before beta 1. it's an external powered usb drive going trough an external powered usb hub to the pi. Nothing else attached at the moment.
(18th Aug, 2013 02:01 AM)coreflake Wrote: [ -> ]
(18th Aug, 2013 01:09 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]1) Have you upgraded to the latest packages? If not, try updating them.

1) i'm using the latest beta. fresh install from your installer if that's what you mean ?
3) i don't have problems without the drive attatched. but it was working fine before beta 1. it's an external powered usb drive going trough an external powered usb hub to the pi. Nothing else attached at the moment.
1. In ssh xbian-config - 5) Check for updates -> 1 then 2 then 3 (if any select by space)
2. I thought it might be a power issue.
3. I mean try booting without the HDD attached - see if that helps.

Other than that I'm at a loss. I'm trying to deduce if it's an xbian issue or just your setup.
(18th Aug, 2013 02:27 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]
(18th Aug, 2013 02:01 AM)coreflake Wrote: [ -> ]

1. In ssh xbian-config - 5) Check for updates -> 1 then 2 then 3 (if any select by space)
2. I thought it might be a power issue.
3. I mean try booting without the HDD attached - see if that helps.

Other than that I'm at a loss. I'm trying to deduce if it's an xbian issue or just your setup.

I did al the updates. It seems a bit more stable now but after a while it still crashes. Without the harddrive attached the OC works fine. before the update to beta 1 it was working fine. Thats why i don't understand.

could it be that it's a probleem with the "sleep" function of the harddrive ? It's a WD harddrive with external power supply. i see the service WD-keepalive in the config and read about it on the web. But i cannot get the service started.

thanks for the advice in the meanwile Wink
do you have or have not option "nohdparm" in cmdline.txt ?
(25th Aug, 2013 02:29 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]do you have or have not option "nohdparm" in cmdline.txt ?

sorry for the slow response, i was on holliday Smile.
yes it's in cmdline.txt. should i delete it ?

(25th Aug, 2013 02:29 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]do you have or have not option "nohdparm" in cmdline.txt ?

i don't have that option. Should i add it ?
(1st Sep, 2013 05:23 AM)coreflake Wrote: [ -> ]

yes it's in cmdline.txt. should i delete it ?

i don't have that option. Should i add it ?

Yes add it to the cmdline.txt.

As it seems better without the HDD it could be part of the known DBUS issue in Beta 1.1.

See http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1031-post-14562.html#pid14562 for more information.
@coreflake,

I'm running very similar OC to what you are trying, for me the important point is core_freq=420. With 430, it's like lottery. Sometimes it holds for days, sometimes it doesn't stand a boot. With core_freq there is very small barrier where RPI works ok and will totally collapse. Keep sdram and arm what you have and go down with core_freq with 10. I'm sure your will run with a number above 400!

So finally I settled with
Code:
arm_freq=930
core_freq=420
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=2
Reference URL's