Forum

Full Version: Audio stopped working with HDMI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hurrey... magic.

It started working fine. No idea what caused the problem to be fixed. Here is what I did
1. Disconnected all cables and put it back
2. Updated TV firmware
3. More important.... added all the hdmi_options mentioned above back to config.txt. Otherwise I get only 720p video.
(24th Aug, 2013 12:12 AM)dmantampfl Wrote: [ -> ]1. Disconnected all cables and put it back

I hate to say it but 'I told you so'! Smile

It's strange though as you are seemingly using a different set up to me and yet have the same problem.

Skywatch
(24th Aug, 2013 12:12 AM)dmantampfl Wrote: [ -> ]Hurrey... magic.

It started working fine. No idea what caused the problem to be fixed. Here is what I did
2. Updated TV firmware
3. More important.... added all the hdmi_options mentioned above back to config.txt. Otherwise I get only 720p video.

weird, but glad you get it back to working stage Wink only shame you dont really know what did cause the issue so when it happens again than you going to be lost again.
Try to change at least the HDMI cable
Also have you tried to set audio out to 5.1 instead 2.0? should work and it would be better for RPi Wink
(24th Aug, 2013 05:54 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]
(24th Aug, 2013 12:12 AM)dmantampfl Wrote: [ -> ]Hurrey... magic.

2. Updated TV firmware

weird, but glad you get it back to working stage Wink only shame you dont really know what did cause the issue so when it happens again than you going to be lost again.
Try to change at least the HDMI cable
Also have you tried to set audio out to 5.1 instead 2.0? should work and it would be better for RPi Wink

Yes. My audio is set to 5.1.
This happened again yesterday.

I removed a wifi usb dongle and replaced it with new ethernet cable. All worked well but no audio!

I did the usual unplug, power off, re-attach and try again but still I could not get hdmi sound. There was a picture but no sound so not likely a *fully* hdmi issue. Audio did work on the pi's analog out.

I tried music, internet radio and videos, all with no sound. Then I tried to play a movie and suddenly there was sound. I went back to music and radio and both are now working. Odd to say the least. Does anything happen when playing a movie that doesn't when streaming music or radio? It just seemed that something 'woke up' and it's been fine since.

Proior to this it's been faultless for weeks and no config changes.

Dunno if this will help or not.

Skywatch
(24th Aug, 2013 05:54 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]Also have you tried to set audio out to 5.1 instead 2.0? should work and it would be better for RPi Wink
@Rikardo. Why would this be better? I have a normal stereo amp with just two speakers (Yes I know, I have just walked off of the Ark) so I have always set output to 2.0.

If it's better I will change the option but I'm curious as to why.
(19th Sep, 2013 01:30 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]
(24th Aug, 2013 05:54 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]Also have you tried to set audio out to 5.1 instead 2.0? should work and it would be better for RPi Wink
@Rikardo. Why would this be better? I have a normal stereo amp with just two speakers (Yes I know, I have just walked off of the Ark) so I have always set output to 2.0.

this aply when the device connected to HDMI is able to process the surround sound if is DD or DTS and either downmix,decode or passthrough. So it means when you play file with 5.1 or better on RPi the audio stream goes out from RPi untouched so the RPi dont need to process the sound.If you have sett 2.0 and no external decoders and you play DD or DTS 5.1 file than the RPi have to dowmix the audio and a lot of CPU power is needed for this
(19th Sep, 2013 02:22 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]
(19th Sep, 2013 01:30 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]

this aply when the device connected to HDMI is able to process the surround sound if is DD or DTS and either downmix,decode or passthrough. So it means when you play file with 5.1 or better on RPi the audio stream goes out from RPi untouched so the RPi dont need to process the sound.If you have sett 2.0 and no external decoders and you play DD or DTS 5.1 file than the RPi have to dowmix the audio and a lot of CPU power is needed for this

Thanks for that. according to tvservice I only have AC3 decoding, so should I set to 5.1 or stick with 2.0 - Sorry slightly off topic.
in XBMC there are two checkboxes for separate allowance of DTS passthrough and AC3 passthrough.

so even if you have only AC3, click it in XBMC setting. of course it will help only if the movie will be AC3 coded, but still, better than nothing.

btw: I have seen (own) many movies / shows which are stereo only, but coded in AC3. normally, XBMC would then recode this as well. but if you click AC3 decoder available, it will be just data stream read -> sent to HDMI.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's