Forum

Full Version: suggestions for ground up household
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys... Looking for some suggestions on a new setup...
Basically, right now I have a main server (windows 8) serving all of my media. Its set up as a 250gb main HDD with 2x2tb hard drives run in windows f*Ed up "raid" style span...
As a main machine, I use a macbook pro laptop. Girlfriend also has a MVP and a windows work laptop.
I have 1 main raspberry pi running xbian in our living room. I just ordered 3 more (1 for my office, 1 for our bedroom, 1 for our guest bedroom).
I have been trying to get MySQL to work correctly between win8 and the RPI to do things like pause in 1 room, resume in another... But I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or what... But regardless, I really dislike windows 8 as a base...
That being said... Im basically asking, given the equipment I have, what is the best setup from the ground up to do? All of my media is backed up on an external drive and I am willing to start from square one... I'm not a total noon with Linux or networking... But not a pro either... So I'm OK with things being dumbed down (but can skip past the questions of "Is it plugged in"...
Anyway... Any help is appreciated, any information you need, I'm happy to supply...
Sorry if I left something out, writing this on my phone.

So, I realize that was a little vague...
Step 1: What is the best setup for hosting my Media?
I have 2 2tb HDDs for holding the videos... what is the best platform/OS to host that media on? I do not use the host for ANYTHING other than holding those files... Should I stick with the mini-PC that the hard drives are on now and continue having them hosted from a Windows based machine? or am I better off using one of the Pis to form a NAS? Or do I use the same system already in place but with some other OS like UBUNTU to host the media?

Again, this machine really only serves to store a lot of data... otherwise, it really doesnt do much...

Suggestions on data serving/storage for a bunch of other XBMC machines...
(29th Aug, 2013 07:56 AM)rbthompsonv Wrote: [ -> ]Step 1: What is the best setup for hosting my Media?
I have 2 2tb HDDs for holding the videos... what is the best platform/OS to host that media on? I do not use the host for ANYTHING other than holding those files... Should I stick with the mini-PC that the hard drives are on now and continue having them hosted from a Windows based m

I'm sure 100% everybody sooner or later ends up with a setup like you started you think about.

Buy a better NAS or small quiet mATX box for 6 drives put any linux there. Create one (reduntant) disk pool from it (with BTRFS or ZFS) , put MYSQL there as well and start using the RPI as thin clients as media streamers connected to TVs or anything. You can even s=host there the common settings files or better whole ROOTFS for RPIs. And you will be happy for years with capacity, data integrity and without headaches of corrupted SD cards etc. Even if you have no idea now how it all works, in two s month you will learn and you are fine.

mk

I have only one RPI, but two ATV2, then three MACs - with XBMC on it sharing the same again (settings, DB, media files).
s=host? What is that?
Maybe something for the wiki Tongue?
(29th Aug, 2013 10:17 AM)brantje Wrote: [ -> ]s=host? What is that?

s=host is very rare and very species type of watch. which is talink you it is too late and you are too tired Smile)
(29th Aug, 2013 10:54 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29th Aug, 2013 10:17 AM)brantje Wrote: [ -> ]s=host? What is that?

s=host is very rare and very species type of watch. which is talink you it is too late and you are too tired Smile)

OK... yeah...
ANYWAY! The current server is a slimline PC/Server (Dell Optiplex 960) and like I said, All it really does is host the media...
Would I be better suited running Ubuntu or a different Linux distro on it? or Just stick with a Windows platform? And if so, which windows should I use (I really am not a fan to any degree of Win8)

That being said, the Dell has had the DVD drive removed so i could run the 3 hard drives... Really, the only reason for 3 is that Windows (or the hardware itself... not sure) cant run the 2x2tb drives as a single 4tb drive natively.. I needed to install windows on the smaller (250gb drive) and use window's "Raid" style disk combiner to get the storage space... Would a linux distro allow me to run the 2x2tb drives as a single 4tb drive and lose the 250gb drive (possibly add a third 2tb drive for 6tb total?)

I am not worried about redundancy as most of my media is backed up every 60 days or so on an external drive...

I guess, really for starters, Im asking... what is the best setup method for what I have now as a backbone, followed by what would the logical upgrade be for it?
I would suggest two ways, one is really simple premade NAS software like Nas4Free of FreeNAS or the more complex way like Ubuntu Server or Debian. I need just simple thing as I'm simple guy Cool so I went for Nas4Free and it serving me great. I also using a Transmission on it if I need and it can does MySQL too but thats something I do not use as there is no need for me Wink
Check my signature for some photos and details of the system
(29th Aug, 2013 11:44 PM)rbthompsonv Wrote: [ -> ]That being said, the Dell has had the DVD drive removed so i could run the 3 hard drives... Really, the only reason for 3 is that Windows (or the hardware itself... not sure) cant run the 2x2tb drives as a single 4tb drive natively.. I needed to install windows on the smaller (250gb drive) and use window's "Raid" style disk combiner to get the storage space... Would a linux distro allow me to run the 2x2tb drives as a single 4tb drive and lose the 250gb drive (possibly add a third 2tb drive for 6tb total?)

I know the design of Optiplex serie. There are four connectors onboard to connect disks so if put small SSD on side, you can have linux server booted under 3s with 3xHDD for storage. Yes, let the windows die. Each current up-t0-date distro ju take from internet will not only support multi disk combinations (provided to you as one logical, but even with GUI installer providing this. Maybe just Debian not, don't know. Choose Ubuntu and you will be even able to experiment with ZFS easily, as Ubuntu if officially currently only distro with packages ready just to install (speaking about ZFS). BTRFS is also natively supporting multi disk configurations, but with any linux you have possibility of using LVM which would allow you use at the end ANY filesystem with any configuration of the three disks.

And when you alone opened the question of different requirements for different usage cases, grab ZFS. This will allow you to create one POOL with 3xHDD so if 2TB big, then 6TB in total and allows you without limitations and anytime be crating / adjusting / sizes / block sizrs, compressions on top of it for as many filesystems as you want. So imagine it as a storage transforming itself based on your needs as you want without any hussles like repartitioning / resizing / backing data and restoring back etc.
(30th Aug, 2013 01:25 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29th Aug, 2013 11:44 PM)rbthompsonv Wrote: [ -> ]That being said, the Dell has had the DVD drive removed so i could run the 3 hard drives... Really, the only reason for 3 is that Windows (or the hardware itself... not sure) cant run the 2x2tb drives as a single 4tb drive natively.. I needed to install windows on the smaller (250gb drive) and use window's "Raid" style disk combiner to get the storage space... Would a linux distro allow me to run the 2x2tb drives as a single 4tb drive and lose the 250gb drive (possibly add a third 2tb drive for 6tb total?)

I know the design of Optiplex serie. There are four connectors onboard to connect disks so if put small SSD on side, you can have linux server booted under 3s with 3xHDD for storage. Yes, let the windows die. Each current up-t0-date distro ju take from internet will not only support multi disk combinations (provided to you as one logical, but even with GUI installer providing this. Maybe just Debian not, don't know. Choose Ubuntu and you will be even able to experiment with ZFS easily, as Ubuntu if officially currently only distro with packages ready just to install (speaking about ZFS). BTRFS is also natively supporting multi disk configurations, but with any linux you have possibility of using LVM which would allow you use at the end ANY filesystem with any configuration of the three disks.

And when you alone opened the question of different requirements for different usage cases, grab ZFS. This will allow you to create one POOL with 3xHDD so if 2TB big, then 6TB in total and allows you without limitations and anytime be crating / adjusting / sizes / block sizrs, compressions on top of it for as many filesystems as you want. So imagine it as a storage transforming itself based on your needs as you want without any hussles like repartitioning / resizing / backing data and restoring back etc.

So... Ubuntu Server is a safe start? Or are you suggesting that I move on to a more intensive linux build?

(30th Aug, 2013 02:06 AM)rbthompsonv Wrote: [ -> ]

So... Ubuntu Server is a safe start? Or are you suggesting that I move on to a more intensive linux build?

Also, is MySQL available for linux? (Ubuntu?)

Also, is MySQL available for linux? (Ubuntu?)
Sorry, just learned about google Smile It comes built into it Smile

ye grab ubuntu, but 12.04 … on others development cycle is faster and you don't wan't each weak browse internet and all ubuntu forums, why something again is not working.

don't grab Debian, although from outside the same, it is much more complex from inside.

I was always happy with fedora, but since I bought RPI (which is Debian based), I lost contact with RPM based distros.

btw: more integrated doesn't mean less intensive. ...
Reference URL's