Forum

Full Version: h264 visual problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I am not quite sure I put my thread in the right category, so please feel free to move it.

The problem I have spotted seems only to come when I play video files with the h264 encoding. The colours get stuck on the screen for e few seconds making it look like lacking pixel information. When I recode he video file with libx264 with ffmpeg, the problem stops, and the picture is crystal clear.

Any thoughts on what might cause the problem?

Best regards.
Hmm still nothing?
Oh dear - you made the fatal mistake of answering your own post. making it look like someone had answered it, and thus many users will bypass it.

If no one has answered, it's because no one knows the answer.

As it is an encoding problem, it is not an Xbian problem.

I'm not an expert in this area but if you hang on, someone might know.

You will also need to explain how you encode, what commands you use, compression details, encoder used etc etc.
(25th Sep, 2013 02:08 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Oh dear - you made the fatal mistake of answering your own post. making it look like someone had answered it, and thus many users will bypass it.

If no one has answered, it's because no one knows the answer.

As it is an encoding problem, it is not an Xbian problem.

I'm not an expert in this area but if you hang on, someone might know.

You will also need to explain how you encode, what commands you use, compression details, encoder used etc etc.

Yea I can see your point there, guess I need to be more patient Angel

Well, the files that are encoded with h264 is not something I encode myself, but they work fine in e.g. VLC player, but not in Xbian. When i recode them, i use a simple ffmpeg command
"-vcodec libx264 -acodec copy -crf 12" then the video file works just fine. Maybe the hardware just cant decode the h264 format correctly I guess.
Can you fill out the details requested in "Please read before you post" - a link is in my signature.

h264 is what the RPi excels in - so I am surprised. Can you press the "o" key and send the output or screenshot.

Also include a pastebin copy of your xbmc.log and the output from dmesg.
(26th Sep, 2013 02:20 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Can you fill out the details requested in "Please read before you post" - a link is in my signature.

h264 is what the RPi excels in - so I am surprised. Can you press the "o" key and send the output or screenshot.

or better get the output from MediaInfo or similar software
Try the standalone omxplayer if you can, if the output is still incorrect I would say it's a firmware issue.
(26th Sep, 2013 06:08 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Try the standalone omxplayer if you can, if the output is still incorrect I would say it's a firmware issue.

this is more likely badly encoded movie file m8, I'm more than sure that this is the reason of the picture fragmentation.
and if the file plays fine on PC it doesnt mean that the file is OK, that just means the computer has more power and more codecs and to fix it at real time where this is not possible on our litle poor RPi Wink
(26th Sep, 2013 06:12 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]
(26th Sep, 2013 06:08 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Try the standalone omxplayer if you can, if the output is still incorrect I would say it's a firmware issue.

this is more likely badly encoded movie file m8, I'm more than sure that this is the reason of the picture fragmentation.
and if the file plays fine on PC it doesnt mean that the file is OK, that just means the computer has more power and more codecs and to fix it at real time where this is not possible on our litle poor RPi Wink

Maybe, it is quit easy to incorrectly encode a file. VLC indeed excels at playing anything including bad files.
(25th Sep, 2013 12:14 AM)mc-denmark Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm still nothing?

what is your xbmc version ?

or just post first line of /home/xbian/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

I have seen this with 12.2 Nightly from Sep-2nd (the one as part of Beta2 XBian) but only with ONE video. Didn't test with other XBMC version, but I'm sure the video is fine - as it was test video to test DTS-ES, provided by Ricardo and confirmed to be OK.

Majority of my files from last weeks is h264 and this was the first I have seen, backtested older videos (watched prior the XBMC version released) and all ok.

So definitely you are not mad. Pinpoint exact problem will be harder. What is the scale of the problem with your files? All, few, one ????
Reference URL's