Forum

Full Version: fsck on boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had a fresh install of Alpha 3 on my r pi.
My setup requires the ability to power off at any moment because it's running inside of a car using the accessory ignition.

Today when it powered off I had a problem where it wanted to go into maintenance mode and waiting for Control D or the root password.

Because I do not have a keyboard hooked up it makes the setup a bit complicated.
Any way to prevent or automate this again in the future. I don't really want to have it prompting me for a fsck or maintenance mode I prefer it to just do it and reboot.
Going into maintenance mode would indicate that there are some serious errors/corruptions on the SD-card. Are you using an overclock? I've had this issue when using overclocks with overvoltage when I simply pulled the power instead of shutting down.
Yes I have it at 840 or 850 but no overvoltage applied. I think it's the default xbian setup.
I need stability though if it powers off so that I am not required to hit control D, I realize fscking the SD was needed but it should do it and then reboot.
Maybe I should opt for a battery backup and have it detect that it's on battery and safely shut itself down.
seems to be a good idea Wink
or get it connected under permanent power but than have to be careful not to leave it on accidentally anf drain your battery Smile
Perhaps you could also give the following 2 options a try:
1. sync parameter
You can try to add the sync option in the mount table to the root partition, so it might help to prevent a corrupt filesystem. So try to add ",sync" in the following file.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot        vfat     defaults,sync 0 2
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /              ext4    defaults,sync 0 1

2. disbale fsck on boot when the sync option doesn't help
Also in the file you could disable fsck on boot. I think 1 means 'Do a fsck' and 2 means "Do also a fsck, but after 1".
So you could try to set both to 0.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot        vfat     defaults,sync 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /              ext4    defaults,sync 0 0
But perhaps it will result in an corrupt filesystem. So don't store important files on it or at least have a backup.
Hope it helps.
Reference URL's