Forum

Full Version: Schedule system updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

Is there any way to schedule when the system does updates? My Pi seems to run quite slow often enough, and I was wondering if there was any way I could set any updating to happen at night?

Thanks,
Neil
what XBian ?

versions prior Beta2 are not updating anything automatically.
version Beta2 is updating just apt Packages list with "apt-get update" daily (if not set differently) between 7am-8am. but the process doesn't take more than 1m. Beta2 can as well update any package where updated version exists, but this is turned OFF by default. if you enable this, it will run together with the apt-get process so again 7am-8am.

depends on the size and complexity (number of files in package) how long the update takes, but today RPI was updating two packages (one was xbmc which is 2nd biggest after kernel-headers) and it took 4minutes.

Code:
2013-10-02 07:55:58,749 INFO Initial blacklisted packages:
2013-10-02 07:55:58,759 INFO Starting unattended upgrades script
2013-10-02 07:55:58,768 INFO Allowed origins are: ['origin=Raspbian,archive=stable,label=Raspbian-Security', 'origin=XBian,archive=stable', 'origin=XBian-devel,archive=devel', 'origin=XBian-mk01,archive=devel']
2013-10-02 07:58:15,227 INFO Packages that are auto removed: ''
2013-10-02 07:58:15,232 INFO Packages that are upgraded: xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-xbmc
2013-10-02 07:58:15,240 INFO Writing dpkg log to '/var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades-dpkg_2013-10-02_07:58:15.234406.log'
2013-10-02 07:59:28,237 INFO All upgrades installed

this is something what you normally hardly realize. I have doubts this is what is doing your system "quite slow".

But everything is possible. Maybe if you share more details we can find out.
Thanks mk01,

It's Beta 1.1, but it's been running OK for the last 24 hours. I think it may just be new system teething problems. I'm also going to be formatting my external HDD to EXT3/4 (it's currently HFS+) which will hopefully improve things.

Still trying to get to grips with Xbian as there is so much to configure, but am getting there!

Thanks!
so much to configure? you are not serious are you? Smile
If you want to use it just as XBMC media center than all you do are basic XBMC settings like A/V output, media paths, maybe your favorite addons.
But if you going to do more with, and you cando so much much more with it Wink than you can spend hours if not days having a fun with adding and configuring Tongue
either way enjoy and have fun
(3rd Oct, 2013 05:45 PM)skeniver Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks mk01,

It's Beta 1.1, but it's been running OK for the last 24 hours. I think it may just be new system teething problems. I'm also going to be formatting my external HDD to EXT3/4 (it's currently HFS+) which will hopefully improve things.

Still trying to get to grips with Xbian as there is so much to configure, but am getting there!

the new installation will for sure during first start update xbmc add ons etc. this will cause quite load on the RPI. anyhow this is not something you can re-schedule. XBMC is updating internals on it's own.

btw: for external HDDs there is by default used "sync" parameter. this will help avoid issues on disconnecting HDD without proper umount before. if you are aware of needed umount and are used to do it, remove the sync from mount options specified at /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf. as "sync" will degrade your write speeds on USB mounts below 200kB/s.
Reference URL's