Forum

Full Version: Encrypted Drive Unable to Mount. dm_mod missing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whenever I try to mount a LUKS encrypted external HD, I get the following error message:

/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
Cannot initialize device-mapper. Is dm_mod kernel module loaded?

From what I understand this means that the dm_mod kernel isn't installed. Is there any fix for this? I've installed package updates, but have been unable to fix the problem.

Any help is appreciated.
Somehow it wasn't included in all kernel versions, while it should have. I will fix it when i get back from vacation. In the meanwhile try kernel version 3.2.27 or 3.6.7, those versions did include the module:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel3.2.27
or
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel3.6.7
I have readded these missing modules. Just update the kernel:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel3.6.11
sudo modprobe dm_crypt
I get fatal errors even after doing the above:

FATAL: Module dm_crypt not found.
and
FATAL: Module dm_mod not found.
Dan you did not install the right kernel.

Can you check with:
Code:
dpkg-query -W -f='${Version}\n' "xbian-package-kernel3.6.11"

It should say 1.1
I installed the right one. It says 1.1 when i query that.
and did you do:
Code:
depmod -a
yep, i also did that. I also restarted the system, and double checked my installs and packages.

I still get fatal errors.
The modules should be there as you can see on this page: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/tree/xbian-alpha5/lib/modules/3.6.11%2B/kernel/drivers/md

Can you try following this guide: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-211.html
And then try again.
The above worked. Thanks a lot for all of the help CurlyMo!

I also found that for mounting truecrypt drives I had to disable kernel cryptographic services when mounting altogether by using the command: truecrypt -m=nokernelcrypto [volume] [mountpoint].

LUKS drives work with the regular mounting commands.

Thanks again
And i got the Splash + initramfs working already so no need to look into that.

Can you share your init file with us so we can implement these features by default:
- Mounting NFS root
- Mounting TrueCrypt drives
hello... so I found this thread after almost a year and just wanted to ask if the truecrypt package is somewhere handy or to be installed?
i can't find it in default repos, but maybe it's because my apt-get update is partially failing to update the index.

i'd truly appreciate any note if mounting truecrypt volumes is supported.
thanks.
@cell

I'm not really sure true crypt is available from the distro repositories anymore on linux, but last time I was working with it I followed many guides which are around, like this for instance:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrueCrypt

if still remember correctly, true crypt has to be installed/downloaded from true crypt repos / web.
I'll follow the guide. thanks a lot.
Reference URL's