Forum

Full Version: how to configure wifi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all:

completely new to xbian I'm trying to connect to my wifi using a usb dongle.

Can someone please give me the right steps to configure my wifi ??
you can start XBIAN CONFIG from within XBMC to configure networking

or log with ssh into your install and start text version of XBIAN CONFIG with "sudo xbian-config"

mk
(14th Oct, 2013 08:38 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]you can start XBIAN CONFIG from within XBMC to configure networking

or log with ssh into your install and start text version of XBIAN CONFIG with "sudo xbian-config"

mk

Hi mk01 :

Inside xbmc I go to system > network , but i don't any option to select my wifi !!

I see only Interface .............. eth0 ( I think this mean I have no ethernet connected-this is correct )
status .................. down

Is there any place where I can select my wireless connection ?

I don't understand that XBIAN CONFIG with sudo xbian.-config !!!
(14th Oct, 2013 06:25 PM)hilfer Wrote: [ -> ]
(14th Oct, 2013 08:38 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]you can start XBIAN CONFIG from within XBMC to configure networking

mk

Hi mk01 :

Inside xbmc I go to system > network , but i don't any option to select my wifi !!

I see only Interface .............. eth0 ( I think this mean I have no ethernet connected-this is correct )
status .................. down

Is there any place where I can select my wireless connection ?

I don't understand that XBIAN CONFIG with sudo xbian.-config !!!

there should be arrows (UP/DOWN) to change the interface.
Tks

I got it working.
(14th Oct, 2013 08:32 PM)hilfer Wrote: [ -> ]Tks

I got it working.

glad to help !

mk
(14th Oct, 2013 08:47 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(14th Oct, 2013 08:32 PM)hilfer Wrote: [ -> ]Tks

I got it working.

glad to help !

mk

will try to set wlan0 by default if eth0 is down.
I think this is a prime candidate for the Wiki.
I want to add something.

People always get confused when it comes to installing usb wifi adapters on the pi, not to mention the fact you have to setup a usb hub in most cases which make things cluttered.

A simple and more robust way to do it is use a router. I use this one- http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR702N

All you do is setup the router itself as an access point or repeater. Once you do that, its a matter of simply plugging it into the pi via the ethernet port. No configuration on the pi, it just works, and no usb port taken up.
would be combo box with 4xTP net + 5xUSB (as HUB) ideal? this would be something for RPI. nobody is doing manufacturing it yet?
(18th Oct, 2013 03:26 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]would be combo box with 4xTP net + 5xUSB (as HUB) ideal? this would be something for RPI. nobody is doing manufacturing it yet?

what are you talking about? can you elaborate?
(18th Oct, 2013 04:44 AM)resinis Wrote: [ -> ]
(18th Oct, 2013 03:26 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]would be combo box with 4xTP net + 5xUSB (as HUB) ideal? this would be something for RPI. nobody is doing manufacturing it yet?

what are you talking about? can you elaborate?

so basically he imagine a device which has the 4xRJ45 and works as LAN/WIFi switch/router/repeater,extender and also include 5x USB ports, each with enough power to feed all kind of USB accessories which is needed/required for RPi like keyboard, HDD, etc Smile
Not bad idea and this would sell for sure. So now you need to find someone to start making these and selling for reasonable price Tongue
Cool
Riso,

yes, you got the point.
Hi,

I just want to add something before you close the post,
I had trouble with my cheap wifi dongle (with the realtek rtl8188cus chipset), but I edited manually the interfaces file and now it's working, check out this link if you need more info:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58436&p=439727#p439727

Sytten
Let me tell you one more thing.

I never thought it could work so smoothly.( I had tried openelec , raspbmc etc..)
All mkv , and big HD files are playing with no interruptions and this through wifi.It's really fantastic.

Congratulations to all the XBIAN developers you have created a awesome piece of software.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's