Forum

Full Version: mount shares from a mac (OS 10.9 Mavericks)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there!

After upgrading my Mac Mini Server (where movies and tv-shows are hosted) i can't connect to the shares via xbmc or terminal (sudo mount -t cifs.... etc gives me error (22) or (95))

i think there might be a problem that apple kicked the old "smb" protocol from their OS and now uses SMB2 instead. is there a way to get a connection to my mac again without having some weird software installed on the mac? (samba update, alternatives, etc etc...) any help will be appreciated!

greetings, Phil.
some people reported that installing an SMBUp may help. Give it a try and see. I'm not an fruit product user so cant say a lot about Smile
i already have SMBUp but the fact that i have to use an extra program for using filesharing between two computers with OS built-in filesharing protocols gives me a headache.

this might be a temporary solution but not permanent:

what if smbup isn't stable and crashes,
what if there is a reboot of the mac and the smbup service isn't starting correctly,
there are also problems with german umlauts in the shares (they weren't a problem before...)

afp connection works without smbup but is terribly slow and the umlaut problem persists... i really don't know why have i clicked on this "upgrade" button Big Grin
I know none of those above is the real solution and the next too but any chance you use NFS instead of SMB share from your MAC ? http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NFS
It also works better with RPi as it is much lighter than SMB
been there - tried that. don't know how to activate NFS sharing in a good way on OsX.

but, there is a funny turn in the whole story. i bought the MacOS 10.9. Server App for the incredible price of €17,99 - now, mounting a smb share from the terminal works again. ridiculous. i didn't have tested the connection in xbmc directly yet, as i'm at work and have only ssh connection to my pi.

so the prefix of the thread is still "problem:" not "solved:" Wink
(28th Oct, 2013 10:31 PM)MarvinTheRobot Wrote: [ -> ]so the prefix of the thread is still "problem:" not "solved:" Wink

had you Mountain Lion installed before, or you upgraded from older release? I'm just asking because this dramatic change is not new to Maveric.

already Mountain Lion had SMB2 implemented. you can connect to it with cifs by using nounix,sec=ntmlv2 options.
i already tested the smb connection again with xbmc after upgrading my server app on the mac mini server - it works but is really unstable and slow.

so i finally switched to NFS - prehaps somebody will help this little tool http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html
it works on 10.9. but there are warnings from the developer.

now i'm mounting the nfs share from the mac to /mnt/mediafiles via /etc/fstab - my mediasource in xbmc is /mnt/mediafiles. a working and pretty good solution for me.

greets, phil
from within XBMC you can use AFP. despite all the dirt at xbmc wiki written about it and status of it, I never had issues. Probably should cause most clients are IOS or MacOSX, but two raspberries are fine as well with it.

If you don't need multiuser control for your media library, then NFS is still the best option and even on Macs although not officially supported from Apple - but still present.
hi!

afp works for me too but is incredibly slow and crashes xbmc randomly - i don't know why.

my database is located on my homeserver (ubuntu machine) in a mysql database, files are located on my mac mini server right next to the pi. i don't think the mysql database is the reason.

one thing which is currently not working is seeking forward and backward (with the arrows up down left right on the remote). playback simply freezes, i have to stop and start the playback of the movie again....
@MarvinTheRobot

I still have TimeCapsule with 2TB drive with some media and AFP is fine, … some maybe one of the few.
Create NFS export on the ubuntu server just for one - two tests, whether you will experience the same.

My intention at the beginning was as yours. Later I moved all storage but Users homes out from Mac Server - to a PC with linux on it. One of the reasons was zevo zfs & nfs on mac doesn't play good and I had some troubles with big RAID hfs+ volumes as well. But don't remember if even seeking within the files was problematic.
(1st Nov, 2013 05:32 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@MarvinTheRobot

I still have TimeCapsule with 2TB drive with some media and AFP is fine, … some maybe one of the few.
Create NFS export on the ubuntu server just for one - two tests, whether you will experience the same.

My intention at the beginning was as yours. Later I moved all storage but Users homes out from Mac Server - to a PC with linux on it. One of the reasons was zevo zfs & nfs on mac doesn't play good and I had some troubles with big RAID hfs+ volumes as well. But don't remember if even seeking within the files was problematic.

Hello, all. I am having the same troubles but am hesitant to tinker with NFS. The wiki does not provide clear enough directions for me. Can anyone provide step by step directions in getting it set up?

Thanks in advance.
@fdezarra

and what is you "server" OS?

macosx, win, linux, bsd ?
Reference URL's