Forum

Full Version: Beta2 [UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS ONLY!]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Is it a problem with the instructions?

No I don't think so - it's an issue with the upgrade read the title
Beta2 [UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS ONLY!]

Repost your problem to the correct thread.
(18th Nov, 2013 03:44 AM)googl1 Wrote: [ -> ]upgrading from alpha1, when doing
i've got full backup of my sd card from before this upgrade.
any sugestions?

@googl1

Alpha5 version is the oldest version tested for upgrade to Beta2.

Also xbian-update Beta2 requires at least Alpha5 installed. The oldest xbian-update on repo is xbian-update to version Alpha5 is from Alpha4 (Alpha5 update refuses to install if Alpha4 is not installed).

So the only way to update to B2 would be hack /var/lib/dpkg/status file by rewriting xbian-update version actually installed to 1.0-0.4, install Alpha5 update and then B2.

(xbian-update Alpha5 update is available from beta1 repo which can be set by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and using
Code:
deb http://xbian.brantje.com beta1 main
as xbian apt repo.
(21st Nov, 2013 04:21 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]
(21st Nov, 2013 03:54 AM)kriticar Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't get it. If it is not an upgrade issue, that what issue do I have?
I tried to upgrade beta 1.1 to beta 2 and now I don't have functional xbian.

Regards.
(17th Nov, 2013 06:09 PM)PicatriX Wrote: [ -> ]modem-manager[pid]: <info> Loaded plugin Gobi...Nokia...Samsung...Huawei...Linktop...
I will try another restore to beta 1.2 and upgrade to beta 2 in order to eventually repeat this condition, maybe it could be helpful to other users...

Edit: same result after retry... :-(

@PicatriX

the beta1.2 you are restoring onto is your backup?

I'm just trying to figure out how modem-manager got installed on your xbian. it is not installed by default. can you uninstall it with
Code:
sudo apt-get remove modemmanager

also can you check, that /etc/network/interfaces file contains lines (in regards to dev lo and eth0) like this:
Code:
auto eth0
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Any help? I have unmet dependencies. I attempted to install all the kept back packages like mentioned in the OP. I am not sure yet how to proceed. Thanks.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbian-package-config-xbmc : Depends: xbian-package-config-shell (>= 2.1.6-48) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xbian-update (>= 1.0.2-7c) but 1.0-1.1 is to be installed
xbian-package-initramfs-tools : Depends: udhcpc but it is not going to be installed
xbian-package-kernel : Depends: xbian-package-initramfs-tools (>= 1.0-2.3) but 1.0-0.8 is to be installed
xbian-package-xbmc : Depends: xbian-package-xbmc-scripts but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libhal-storage1 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libhal1 but it is not going to be installed
xbian-update : PreDepends: xbian-package-config-shell (>= 2.1.3-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

and

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
fbset libass-dev libbluray-dev libenca-dev libexpat1-dev libfontconfig1-dev
libfreetype6-dev libjasper-dev
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
libhal-storage1 libhal1 xbian-package-config-shell
xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-update
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libhal-storage1 libhal1 xbian-package-xbmc-scripts
The following packages will be upgraded:
xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-update
3 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/398 kB of archives.
After this operation, 186 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
dpkg: considering deconfiguration of xbian-package-initramfs-tools, which would be broken by installation of xbian-package-config-shell ...
dpkg: no, xbian-package-initramfs-tools is essential, will not deconfigure
it in order to enable installation of xbian-package-config-shell
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-config-shell_2.1.6-51a_armhf.deb (--unpack):
installing xbian-package-config-shell would break existing software
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-config-shell_2.1.6-51a_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
(21st Nov, 2013 04:21 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]
(21st Nov, 2013 03:54 AM)kriticar Wrote: [ -> ]

What do you think belongs in this thread, please give an example because if they are following the install instructions and having upgrade issues the instructions need to be revised.
@mk01:

first of all thanks for your commitment!

Quote:the beta1.2 you are restoring onto is your backup?

yes, it´s a clonezilla backup image of my working beta1.2

I followed your advice of removing modemmanager;
checked /etc/network/interfaces file and first line was missing;
start upgrading;
have an issue on apt-get install xbian-update:
Terminal

dpkg: considering deconfiguration of xbian-package-config-shell, which would be broken by installation of xbian-update ...
dpkg: yes, will deconfigure xbian-package-config-shell (broken by xbian-update)
dpkg: considering deconfiguration of xbian-package-initramfs-tools, which would be broken by installation of xbian-update ...
it in order to enable installation of xbian-update
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-update_1.0.2-9a_armhf.deb (--unpack):
installing xbian-update would break existing software
dpkg: considering deconfiguration of xbian-update, which would be broken by installation of xbian-package-initramfs-tools ...
dpkg: no, xbian-update is essential, will not deconfigure
it in order to enable installation of xbian-package-initramfs-tools
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-initramfs-tools_1.3.1-5d_armhf.deb (--unpack):
installing xbian-package-initramfs-tools would break existing software
dpkg: considering deconfiguration of xbian-package-initramfs-tools, which would be broken by installation of xbian-package-config-shell ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-config-shell_2.1.6-51a_armhf.deb (--unpack):
/var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-update_1.0.2-9a_armhf.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-initramfs-tools_1.3.1-5d_armhf.deb

Maybe it´s better to restore my working beta1.2 backup, got a brand new sd card and install the official beta2 image using dd for a new fresh start...thanks again for your effort...
I retried this on my freshly installed raspberry pi. I re-installed beta 1.1 fresh. Worked great. Didn't do anything besides change the hostname and the sources.lst file.

Then I ran through the upgrade instructions and it failed with dependency issues. I would say there is a problem with the directions. I am including a pastebin of the entire upgrade process. Please let me know. This is only the 8th attempt at an upgrade. Cool

http://pastebin.com/0aKPrQa0

Code:
(Reading database ... 30720 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xbian-package-config-xbmc 1.1-2 (using .../xbian-package-config-xbmc_1.1.4-3_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbian-package-config-xbmc ...
Preparing to replace xbian-package-kernel 1.2-2 (using .../xbian-package-kernel_1.3-5.5_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbian-package-kernel ...
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/lib/modules/3.9.8+': Directory not empty
Preparing to replace xbian-package-xbmc 2.3-0.4 (using .../xbian-package-xbmc_2.9-10.13_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbian-package-xbmc ...
I have similar problems that I can't seem to resolve.

Code:
xbian@pi ~ $ sudo apt-get install xbian-update
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
xbian-package-config-xbmc : Depends: xbian-package-config-shell (>= 2.1.6-48) but 2.1.3-3 is to be installed
xbian-package-initramfs-tools : Depends: udhcpc but it is not going to be installed
xbian-package-kernel : Depends: xbian-package-initramfs-tools (>= 1.0-2.3) but 1.0-0.8 is to be installed
xbian-package-xbmc : Depends: xbian-package-xbmc-scripts but it is not going to be installed
xbian-update : Breaks: xbian-package-config-shell (< 2.1.6-48b) but 2.1.3-3 is to be installed
                Breaks: xbian-package-initramfs-tools (< 1.3.1-2) but 1.0-0.8 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
xbian@pi ~ $ sudo apt-get -f install xbian-update
Building dependency tree
xbian-package-config-xbmc : Depends: xbian-package-config-shell (>= 2.1.6-48) but 2.1.3-3 is to be installed
xbian-update : Breaks: xbian-package-config-shell (< 2.1.6-48b) but 2.1.3-3 is to be installed
                Breaks: xbian-package-initramfs-tools (< 1.3.1-2) but 1.0-0.8 is to be installed
xbian@pi ~ $ sudo apt-get install udhcpc libhal1
Building dependency tree
                             Depends: xbian-update (>= 1.0.2-7c) but 1.0-1.2 is to be installed

I've already updated sources.list to use the stable branch instead of wheezy, but that did not make a difference. How do I get out of this mess apt-get left behind? Smile
@calisro
Try:
Code:
sudo mv /lib/modules/3.9.8+ /lib/modules/3.9.8+-bak
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-kernel xbian-package-xbmc
sudo rm -r /lib/modules/3.9.8+-bak

@gobo
can you try:
Code:
xbian@pi ~ $ sudo apt-get install -f xbian-update xbian-package-config-shell=2.1.6-48b xbian-package-initramfs-tools=1.3.1-2 udhcpc xbian-package-xbmc-scripts libhal-storage1 libhal1
I'm getting the following error Sad

Terminal
root@xbian:~# apt-get install xbian-update
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

xbian-update : Breaks: xbian-package-xbmc (< 2.9-10.13)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
root@xbian:~# you have held broken packages.
I appear to have exactly the same problem as @gobo, getting all the same errors trying to run the upgrade.

I've tried the suggested apt-get line from @CurlyMo but had to update it slightly as the versions in the repository have already changed and the ones listed are gone.
I really wish the repo could keep these older versions available, deleting all the old ones is asking for broken dependencies. I would host a mirror myself but with only 100GB/month quota I don't think I'd last long :-(

I also had to change /etc/apt/sources.list get rid of
Code:
deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt wheezy main
and replace it with just
Code:
deb http://xbian.brantje.com/ wheezy main

because the other repos in the mirrorlist are very out of date; they don't have beta 2 things at all.
I presume apt uses the mirror list as a round robin, as most time when I run apt-get update I didn't hit brantje.com at all, so the newer debs were not available at all. Really confused me for a bit there.

So with sources.list updated and apt-get update run I the suggested install but got:
Quote:xbian-update : Conflicts: udhcpc but 1:1.20.0-7 is to be installed
so pulled udhcpc out of the line, then got a whole lot more conflicts between various other things on the install.

Eventually found a line that worked by trying various versions available in the repo. As it turned out, the newest version of one package (xbian-package-initramfs-tools) would break the only version available of another (xbian-package-config-shell), so I had to pick the oldest version left in the repo. This happened with a couple of other ones too. Here's hoping the vers I've got working are still there the next time someone tries this, or better, the newest version of everything will work together.

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f xbian-update=1.0.2-8d xbian-package-config-shell=2.1.6-51a xbian-package-initramfs-tools=1.3.1-5b xbian-package-xbmc-scripts libhal-storage1 libhal1

fyi you can use "apt-cache show <package name>" to see what versions are avaialble, or as I found easier, just browse http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/wheezy/main/ and http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool in a browser

Hope this helps others,
Andrew

ps. I'm really not happy about it automatically rebooting at the end of the dpkg config of xbian-update, that's really unexpected behaviour. Sure, strongly suggest to the user to reboot in big capital letters, but don't auto reboot.
I would normally double check my /etc/network/interfaces is correct before rebooting as I've had it get broken a few times by the gui config and my only console access is via wifi, so it's pretty important for it to work for me at boot. Turns out it wasn't right, and right now I'm locked out of my pi. Now I'm going to have to get a usb keyboard from somewhere to plug in and check the console, in person, at the other end of the house.
1. I created the apt repo back then to support multiple versions. I still don't know the reason why older ones are removed...
2. Apt pulls the first mirror from the mirror.txt and if that one doesn't work checks the next.
3. You can always abort a reboot command. xbian-update gives you 1 minute to do so.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/526329/possible-to-abort-shutdown-on-linux
(24th Nov, 2013 12:19 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]1. I created the apt repo back then to support multiple versions. I still don't know the reason why older ones are removed...
2. Apt pulls the first mirror from the mirror.txt and if that one doesn't work checks the next.
3. You can always abort a reboot command. xbian-update gives you 1 minute to do so.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/526329/possible-to-abort-shutdown-on-linux

Sorry looking back on my post it came out as a bit of a rant, didn't mean it that way.

2. Yeah that fits with what I saw. The problem is the other two repos do work, they just don't have any recent content in them.

3. Looking at the terminal I can see the 1 minute pause listed there now. Seeing as most apt operations take some time I just started it and got side tracked on other things (typing up the forum post as it turns out), the only reason I know anything had finished was I got a beep from the terminal because the ssh was getting logged out.
It would be better to have a "This needs to be rebooted, do it now? [y] / n" kind of message and at least have the user hit enter to make it happen.

Cheers,
Andrew
(23rd Nov, 2013 09:34 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]@gobo
can you try:
Code:
xbian@pi ~ $ sudo apt-get install -f xbian-update xbian-package-config-shell=2.1.6-48b xbian-package-initramfs-tools=1.3.1-2 udhcpc xbian-package-xbmc-scripts libhal-storage1 libhal1

That doesn't seem to work:
Code:
[sudo] password for xbian:
Building dependency tree
E: Version '2.1.6-48b' for 'xbian-package-config-shell' was not found
E: Version '1.3.1-2' for 'xbian-package-initramfs-tools' was not found

Then I tried @corona suggestion:
Quote:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f xbian-update=1.0.2-8d xbian-package-config-shell=2.1.6-51a xbian-package-initramfs-tools=1.3.1-5b xbian-package-xbmc-scripts libhal-storage1 libhal1

Then it froze halfway through installing the kernel.
I managed to reboot it, but now it cannot mount /boot anymore, because it doesn't seem to know about vfat.

I'm backing up the .xbmc folder and will put a fresh image on it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's