Forum

Full Version: LAN down overnight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have a problem with my Pi and Xbian 1.0 beta2.

I'll get it up and running, watch stuff then the next day it's not working anymore.

I've been rebooting it every time using my CEC enabled remote, but I finally found my wireless keyboard in a drawer and checked the console.

Dmesg shows this:
Terminal
[ 369.554319] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ 372.035609] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
[ 392.012861] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link down
[ 393.646034] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
Had to setup a routing table for it to work again, even if it was "up" and had link according to ifconfig.

Seems like the network card shuts itself on and off, it's not being done with ifdown/ifup, since if it were it'd work.

I don't ever recall this happening in my previous install, which was 1.0 alpha 5.

Reason it's probably not an universal problem is that I've setup my pi with a static IP (so that port forwards and such work aswell as Yatse, because my shitty Zhone router doesn't support static ips on DHCP. So maybe other people's xbians are just reconfiguring after dropping out.

So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why the interface is dropping out at all. And to ask you guys to look if you have similar messages from the smsc95xx interface in your dmesg.

Regards,
Henry.
check this out
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1727.html?highlight=power+cable
maybe you having same issue
(29th Nov, 2013 10:57 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]check this out
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1727.html?highlight=power+cable
maybe you having same issue

Don't think I do. I have a decent PSU supplying 1000mA and not a whole lot of peripherals. Just the ethernet and a logitech adapter for wireless keyboard/mouse that I never use. Plus this never happened before I upgraded from 1.0 alpha 5 to beta 2.
Although 1000mA could be sufficient it's not very much. Maybe it's supplying even less. Therefore I would always stick to a 1500-2000 MA PSU at least.
But you should also check your router about your problem. Maybe because your router probably receives a new IP-Address overnight your RPi gets lost. Or your router has some kind of sleep-functionality (which I have enabled for WiFi overnight).
(29th Nov, 2013 04:41 PM)freem@n Wrote: [ -> ]Although 1000mA could be sufficient it's not very much. Maybe it's supplying even less. Therefore I would always stick to a 1500-2000 MA PSU at least.
But you should also check your router about your problem. Maybe because your router probably receives a new IP-Address overnight your RPi gets lost. Or your router has some kind of sleep-functionality (which I have enabled for WiFi overnight).

I'll try a new psu when I get a chance. As for the router, it doesn't change IP's or sleep, it's just functioning as a bridge to my fiber optics box, and I have a static IP there.
@henrythor

XBian version prior Beta2 used ifplugd to reactivate (ifup) the interface on network link loss (and reconnect).

Try reactivating it again for eth0 manually by editing /etc/default/ifplugd or by using dpkg:
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure ifplugd
Reference URL's