Forum

Full Version: Hostname changing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As i have a number of Pi's on my network I thought i would change hostname to differentiate them. I tried changing the hostname using the Xbian config page but got some sort of error message ( "there was a problem" IIRC)

I have tried to change the hostname manually but get the following

Code:
root@xbian:/home/xbian# nano /etc/hostname
root@xbian:/home/xbian# nano /etc/hosts
root@xbian:/home/xbian# /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
bash: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh: No such file or directory
root@xbian:/home/xbian#

Where am i going wrong??
@lemmy999

beta2 migrated almost all scripts to upstart that means no "service hostname restart" but "reload hostname". also please keep in mind that if you change manually in hostname and hosts, you still have at XBMC which uses this name for AirPlay and Zeroconf (Bonjour).

Xbian-config works - will change in hosts, hostname, will store XBMC devicename change and wait until XBMC quits (to prevent that XBMC reverts old values ion exit and settings store).

I know about the reported problem. It's just because Beta2 holds just short name in /etc/hosts, but script expects this but also long variant which is missing - get's not changed and reported.

(just checked latest version available on stable repo and this version is already fixed. so if you update at least xbian-package-config-shell package your problem should be fixed).
@mk01

Many thanks for those insights. I have updated my instance of xbian and the hostname change is now working
Reference URL's