Forum

Full Version: [USB Install] Xbian is incredibly slow, even when overclocked to Turbo.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Software
XBian version: Beta 2
XBMC version: 12.2
Overclock settings: Turbo (issue also seen using stock Xbian OC)

Hardware
Power supply rating: link
RPi model: Model B, 256mb
SD card size and make/type: Kingston 16gb Class 10 SD Card, Integral 16gb USB 3.0
Network (wireless or LAN): Wireless
Connected devices: IR receiver (for MCE Remote), keyboard, wireless adapter - all via a powered USB hub.

I installed Xbian last night (USB install), and after spending all day sorting out my TV library, I have found the UI to be incredibly sluggish (long transitions between screens, unresponsive/laggy input), using a number of different lightweight skins (including Confluence, Amber, Maximinimalism). It seems to temporarily hang every so often when navigating. My media library is currently sub 150. I was concerned that it may be overheating, but it's currently sitting at 53 degrees on Turbo overclock.

Any ideas? This is a brand new install, with the library rebuilt from scratch (rather than imported from OpenElec).

Update: there is no issue with video playback, it's incredibly smooth.
Very strange.

Are you sure it's 256Mb - Model B is 512mb?

1) How did you install Xbian onto USB? Xbian-config or other?
2) How long has the system been up > 1 hour? when it is sluggish?

Please provide output from xbmc.log, dmesg, config.txt, cmdline.txt a screen shot of
Terminal
when sluggish and the output from
Terminal
vmstat 5 20

Xbian Beta 2 should not be slow. It might be sluggish for the first 10 minutes after boot but not there after.
(20th Dec, 2013 05:31 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Very strange.

Are you sure it's 256Mb - Model B is 512mb?

1) How did you install Xbian onto USB? Xbian-config or other?
2) How long has the system been up > 1 hour? when it is sluggish?

Please provide output from xbmc.log, dmesg, config.txt, cmdline.txt a screen shot of
Terminal
when sluggish and the output from
Terminal
vmstat 5 20

Xbian Beta 2 should not be slow. It might be sluggish for the first 10 minutes after boot but not there after.

Definitely 256mb - I bought my Pi right before they upped the RAM to 512mb Sad

I installed using Xbian-config, and by the time I made my last post the system had been up for 2 hours, but I have been fiddling and rebooting a lot. I did, however, leave it on overnight (12hrs from leaving it to turning my tv back on).

Basically it really struggles whenever I transition through different screens. Also if I leave the system idle for even a few minutes, it'll take 10+ seconds to execute any remote input (for example, pressing 'down').

I made images of the SD Card and USB, and switched back to OpenElec to watch some stuff - but I'll follow your instructions tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the reply Smile
Also do a search. I remember there is a fix for the 256mb RPi
@postdeath

can you try removing /etc/sysctl.d/xbian.conf / reboot / retest ?

also check if vnc-server service is not running by accident
Reference URL's