Forum

Full Version: Maybe it's time for beta 3? Or a another try to update my beta2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I am not able to update the beta2 image by using apt-get update; apt-get upgrade.
Still I am facing memory OOPS; segmentation errors etc. during the update.
I already tried various things such as:

create SD card with beta2 image
boot (fs_resize)
reboot
remove /etc/sysctr.d/xbian.conf
reboot
Stop XMBC
open remote ssh
change /etc/apt/sources.conf to use staging and devel repos
apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade or apt-get install --reinstall xbian-update

than problem starts. OOPS /segfaults etc

I am using a 256 rpi.

I was wondering if it's possible to release a beta3 or RC1 image?

KB
@Killerbee

the dpkg issue was OOM, not OOPS

setup exactly as you described is one of my RPI. to test your scenario I reverted to earlier snapshot and installed xbian* from stable/devel/staging.

currently, Xbian-Config is updating the RPI via apt-get / dpkg from within running XBMC controlled by vnc session. more than 180pkgs, 100+Mb.

Code:
total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        124624     101956      22668          0         20      41828
-/+ buffers/cache:      60108      64516
Swap:       281592      37176     244416

Code:
Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
/dev/zram0                              partition    30716    30536    20
/dev/mmcblk0p3                          partition    250876    6592    0

Code:
18:42:20 T:2847904832  NOTICE: set label <xbmcgui.Control object at 0x251d998> to Need to get 128 MB of archives.
18:42:20 T:2847904832  NOTICE: set label <xbmcgui.Control object at 0x251dcb0> to After this operation, 152 kB disk space will be freed.

can you provide more info on the OOPS ?
(21st Dec, 2013 10:05 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]can you provide more info on the OOPS ?

@mk01

Okay I will do and changed the title of the topic.

Question:
Should I run apt-get update from the cli or update the system from XBMC?

Also when I run apt-get upgrade or apt-get install --reinstall xbian-update (from a remote session or local cli) the system freezes (or shows updating splash forever). I get no (visual) response at all.

Question:
What to do in that case because when I unplug the power (after let's 15 minutes) my pi won't boot. Due to various reasons.
-.- Missing cmdline.txt/config.txt file or corrupted *.txt files
-.- Wrong content of /etc/fstab file
-.- ....
Once I had even the content of the cmdline.txt in my config.txt file! I thought maybe it's me or it's to late but it was the really the case.

Edit:
I tried various SD cards and these cards run fine with other "distro's"

KB
QA: doesn't matter. it is always just apt-get & dpkg at the end. Beta2 (and XBian's packages since beta2) was designed (also) for auto updating - meaning constant XBMC running with popup about reboot needed (changed libs, or binaries related to xbmc asking xbmc reload - as opposing to xbmc termination).

If boot gets corrupted, you can take this .zip archive of boot http://xbian.brantje.com/others/boot20131206.zip . you won't be able to load additional modules after boot, but it makes possible to reinstall kernel package and general maintenance on XBian.

But in your case this doesn't make sense much as there is something very very wrong and any attempt to reinstall .deb again will fail (at least it looks this way). Unfortunately I have no idea what.

btw: you posted on Dec-1st that you solved the problems finally (the original OOM problem). what happened ? can you provide remote ssh session to fresh reflash of img B2 for me to look a bit ? otherwise have no other ideas currently.
(21st Dec, 2013 08:08 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]btw: you posted on Dec-1st that you solved the problems finally (the original OOM problem). what happened ? can you provide remote ssh session to fresh reflash of img B2 for me to look a bit ? otherwise have no other ideas currently.

Once I am able to (re)install xbian-update (with success) all other updates are running fine.
At the first of dec. I was able to successfully install the xbian-update package.
It seems that a few 256Mb pi users are facing update issues. At least I do.
That's why I was suggesting to release a Beta3 with all updates already installed.

Kb
@Killerbee

ok, got the point.

the difference for you is only /etc/sysctl.d/xbian.conf.
XBian B2 image currently available is fixed. http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/release/

If you re-download you should not have this issue during first update.
(21st Dec, 2013 10:26 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]XBian B2 image currently available is fixed. http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/release/

If you re-download you should not have this issue during first update.

@mk01
So this is what I did:

Download the above image
dd bs=1M if=XBian_1.0_Beta_2.img of=/dev/sdb
boot
reboot
Stop XBMC
login as xbian
sudo -i
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

After a few packages I got:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg exited unexpectedly
The package i was updating was: xbian-package-xbmc-scripts
I ran dpkg --configure -a
I ran apt-get update again
After a few packages I got:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg exited unexpectedly
The package i was updating was: libcurl3-gnutils
after 4 attempts I stopped

I checked dmesg
Code:
[ 1213.630310] Out of memory: Kill process 5477 (dpkg) score 128 or sacrifice child
[ 1213.630323] Killed process 5477 (dpkg) total-vm:66976kB, anon-rss:23280kB, file-rss:836kB
[ 1213.630674] dpkg: page allocation failure: order:0, mode:0x102005a
Full dmesg output in this file

I checked /etc/sysctrl.d/xbian.conf and saved it to a file

Code:
Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
/dev/zram0                              partition    30716    12324    20
/dev/mmcblk0p3                          partition    250876    27116    0

The system is still running so do you need some additional info?
did this since your message three times (reflash, update/upgrade - with the same image). even I have less system mem (118MB).

only difference is i don't have anything in USBs. sounds stupid, can you remove all from USB, reboot & test ?

then I'm out of ideas and a bit angry Smile)

you can also edit /etc/default/zram-swap SIZE=0 (then stop zram-swap start zram-swap). then we finished.

a bit confusing is that the other reports have been resolved and until now have not reported being not working again.

and also can give you a certificate that you are not stupid Smile

one more idea :

vm.min_free_kbytes - double it to 16384, or 32768.
(22nd Dec, 2013 12:30 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]you can also edit /etc/default/zram-swap SIZE=0 (then stop zram-swap start zram-swap). then we finished.

one more idea :
vm.min_free_kbytes - double it to 16384, or 32768.

I did both! and that worked
By the way the value for vm.min_free_kbytes was 8192.

So what I did was:
Changed /etc/default/zram-swap SIZE=0
and changed
/etc/sysctrl.d/xbian.conf vm.min_free_kbytes=32768.
Reboot
stop xbmc
setup a remote ssh session and login with xbian
sudo -i
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
All went well. Xbian rebooted Smile

setup a remote ssh session
I checked the vm.min_free_kbytes parameters and is was set to 16384.
I checked the SIZE parameters and is was still 0

added the staging and devel repo's
and ran apt-get update; apt-get upgrade (without stopping xbmc)
Code:
Preparing to replace xbian-package-firmware 1.4-7 (using .../xbian-package-firmware_1.4.11_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbian-package-firmware ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-firmware_1.4.11_armhf.deb (--unpack):
unable to sync file '/boot/fixup.dat.dpkg-new': Input/output error
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
unable to restore backup version of `/opt/vc/include/GLES2/gl2ext.h': Read-only file system
Bus error

the system did not respond. So I switched of the power and booted

Changed file to
/etc/sysctrl.d/xbian.conf vm.min_free_kbytes=32768
reboot
apt-get upgrade

to be continued...

continue:
system freezes again. So I rebooted and ran apt-get upgrade. This time I stopped xbmc.
All upgrades were installed correctly!

So temp conclusion:
It worked for me with:
/etc/sysctrl.d/xbian.conf vm.min_free_kbytes=32768
Changed /etc/default/zram-swap SIZE=0
xbmc stopped.

Next test:
do the same test as above with zram-swap enabled.

KB
so you need 32mb as min free ?
(23rd Dec, 2013 12:06 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]so you need 32mb as min free ?

it seems but I'd like to do some more tests.
Also it seems apt-get upgrade only works when xbmc has stopped.
If not stopped upgrade won't work

Swap was disabled in my tests so I have to redo every test with zram-swap enabled.

to be continued.....
swap including partitions, or zram swap only ?

and why with xbmc stopped ? due to memory low ?
(23rd Dec, 2013 03:33 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]swap including partitions, or zram swap only ?
partitions only

(23rd Dec, 2013 03:33 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]and why with xbmc stopped ? due to memory low ?

I stopped xbmc manually. Because when I ran apt-get upgrade with xbmc running I got this:
Code:
Preparing to replace xbian-package-firmware 1.4-7 (using .../xbian-package-firmware_1.4.11_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbian-package-firmware ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbian-package-firmware_1.4.11_armhf.deb (--unpack):
unable to sync file '/boot/fixup.dat.dpkg-new': Input/output error
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
unable to restore backup version of `/opt/vc/include/GLES2/gl2ext.h': Read-only file system
Bus error

KB
this is not xbmc influencing it. this is fs corruption.
(23rd Dec, 2013 03:50 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]this is not xbmc influencing it. this is fs corruption.
Yes it seems because this is my content now of my config.txt fileConfused
Code:
#initramfs initramfs.gz  0x00a00000
sdhci-bcm2708.sync_after_dma=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootflags=subvol=root/@,autodefrag,compress=lzo rootfstype=btrfs rootwai
initial_turbo=1

Kb
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's