Forum

Full Version: No reboot after unplugging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had this problem a long time ago, with beta 1, so I decided to install beta 2.

All was running very well until I had to unplug it... Since then, the pi haven't start anymore.

The green led blinked a few times, and then the red led was fixed.

I don't understand the reason, so I've decide to reinstall again but, Is there any way to prevent this issue?

Thanks.

Kas.
As a first guess - use the Quit function of XBMC or issue ssh sudo poweroff.

DON'T just pull the power. This could cause a file system corruption.

If this is not the case can you supply the output from dmesg via pastebin
(25th Dec, 2013 03:44 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]As a first guess - use the Quit function of XBMC or issue ssh sudo poweroff.

DON'T just pull the power. This could cause a file system corruption.

If this is not the case can you supply the output from dmesg via pastebin

Thanks IriDium,

I'm afraid I can not post the output dmesg now. As I said, I decided to reinstall again. I see what was my fail: I just pulled the power, so, probably, the file system was corrupted Sad

Thanks, I learned a lesson.
Well yesterday I shut off my rpi using the shut down menu...

Today it doesn't start. The problem is the same as described above (in my first post).

I still didn't format the SD card, and when I plug it into my laptop it can't mount the second partition (xbian-beta2), it only mount first partition (xbian-boot)

I don't know how to get any dmesg, or any other information.

Should I reinstall again? Is there any way to recover my old installation before I format the SD card?

Could the problem be in my SD card?

Please, I need some help...

Thanks.
Unless you have a linux file driver installed (I assume Windoze laptop) then you will only see xbian-boot as that is FAT32 - the rest is BTRFS

dmesg is a command run from a terminal session.

Best thing to do is plug the SD card into you laptop, copy and then edit the file cmdline.txt. Remove quiet and loglevel=0

Reboot

The screen should fill up with boot-up messages. If it does not boot - copy the screen or take a photo (easier) and post that - will give us an idea of what might be wrong.

Might be worth posting config.txt and cmdline.txt as well.
(28th Dec, 2013 05:06 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you have a linux file driver installed (I assume Windoze laptop) then you will only see xbian-boot as that is FAT32 - the rest is BTRFS

dmesg is a command run from a terminal session.

Best thing to do is plug the SD card into you laptop, copy and then edit the file cmdline.txt. Remove quiet and loglevel=0

Reboot

The screen should fill up with boot-up messages. If it does not boot - copy the screen or take a photo (easier) and post that - will give us an idea of what might be wrong.

Might be worth posting config.txt and cmdline.txt as well.

No man, my laptop is "linuxed": xubuntu 12.04 (32 bits)

But it can't mount the BRTFS partition Sad

I know what dmesg is, but I don't know how to run it om my rpi... as I said it doesn't start: just two blinks of the green led and then the fatal red... permanent...

I don't get image...
Have you removed those words from cmdline.txt?
No... I've formatted again a few hours ago Sad

Again, I'm not very patient...

Well, I'll reinstall xbian again and I'll try again, I'm sure I can reproduce the error: it's simple, just shutdown rpi wait a few minutes and restart...

As soon as I get information, I'll post a message.

Thanks-
How are you installing? Xbian installer on Windoze 7 or 8?

If so try downloading the .img and use win32diskimager instead - that should work.

dmesg is just a command that is run from a terminal session. Not a lot of use if the RPi doesn't boot
I'm installing with "dd" commando due there is no install application for 32 bit linux...
Can you post the dd command you use - this could be the issue.

I have a feeling that dd may not work as expected on a BTRFS file system.

Have a look on the thread Mounting USB
This is de command I'm using right now:

sudo dd bs=1M if=xbian.beta2.2013-11-16rs.img | pv | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb1

But, usually, all the installation seems to work fine. I could configure XBMC, samba, transmission... without problems. The trouble occurs when I shut down the rpi and restart it after some time...

It has just finished, this is the output:

Terminal
1331280+0 registros leĆ­dos
1331280+0 registros escritos
681615360 bytes (682 MB) copiados, 246,009 s, 2,8 MB/s
I think you have hit on the problem.

1) Run xbian - reboot
2) Install samba - reboot.
3) Install transmission - reboot

Where does the problem occur?
wow....

No, man, I didn't reboot after each software installation Sad Should I did it?

I use to do this:
- Run xbian.
- Configure XBMC, and add some add-ons.
- Install & configure samba.
- Install & configure transmission.
- Install &configure ssmtp & mailutils.

I didn't reboot on any step Sad

The problem occurs when I shutdown the rpi, and unplug it. After that, when I plug the rpi again it doesn't start.
There needs to be a way to enable logging to the boot partition in this case, disabling splash may allow you to see what's happening. Sounds kinda like a bad SDCard, before you shutdown the first time login to your Pi with SSH and run 'dmesg > sys.log' then post the output of sys.log to pastebin please.

What do you have plugged into the USB ports?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's