Forum

Full Version: Wifi adapter + LAN in tandem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.

I just got a edimax wifi adapter... no install necessary it just worked out of the box. I set it up to connect to my wifi network and it did just fine.

However, I have a nano router that is hooked to the ethernet port. I use this to connect android phones to the pi so I can control it with yatse. This works great, but it seems xbian still tries to get online through the ethernet port instead of using the wifi.

How can I prioritize xbian to use the wifi adapter to get online, while still leaving the ethernet enabled so I can connect my phones to it?

I dont want to connect through my wifi network, because when I take this away from home it looks for my network, cant find it and leaves me unable to control the pi.

So I want to leave the nano router hooked in with its own SSID, and the wireless USB dongle should connect to get things online. hopefully... is this possible?
This seems a strange setup - I would use the ethernet for online stuff and just use the wifi for control.

However in your case, this causes problems.

I'm sure the priority on Beta 2 is to use ethernet first and if not available Wifi. This could be changed via the upstart routines but could be overwritten with upgrades etc.

Maybe as a test - change the IP's so that the Wifi is lower than the Ethernet address. This might work.

If not - wait a bit until a developer reads your post who will be able to give a more detailed explanation of how to change it - if possible.
(3rd Jan, 2014 03:17 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]This seems a strange setup - I would use the ethernet for online stuff and just use the wifi for control.

However in your case, this causes problems.

I'm sure the priority on Beta 2 is to use ethernet first and if not available Wifi. This could be changed via the upstart routines but could be overwritten with upgrades etc.

Maybe as a test - change the IP's so that the Wifi is lower than the Ethernet address. This might work.

If not - wait a bit until a developer reads your post who will be able to give a more detailed explanation of how to change it - if possible.

thanks. ideally, the router could do it all. it has ddwrt on it, and if I set it to ClientBridge mode it works... the pi connects through ethernet and gets online, and i can connect to it with my phone.

but it gets dhcp from the network, and you cant change that in Client Bridge mode. And it doesnt seem to connect with a static ip... which is weird.

So another option is to use regular Client mode, and create a virtual SSID for the phone to connect to. This is what I cant get working... Even when I set the router to a different subnet as the wiki tells me to. The phone can connect to the virtual SSID, but the router just wont connect to the internet.

Maybe I should try again, because getting the router to work in client mode shouldn't be hard...
@resinis,

if you please specify more in detail what is in your terms "gets online". is it obtaining ip address and setting default route or ?

i have the feeling the whole problem will be in the fact that XBian config is switching "auto" flag on adapters. so it comes with "auto eth0". as soon as you configures wifi, eth0 is removed from "auto" (the problem is that the network utils would try to configure eth0 even if link is down for 30s). so XBian is setting as auto last adapter configured.

for you it means just manually edit /etc/network/interfaces, put again "auto eth0" into the file, configure it as static without gw. just IP and mask.

also priorities are possible, both could have default gw and even be on the same subnet. just put metric #nr to the adapters (lower metrics is priority).

another option would be to setup eth0 as hotplug (as wlan0 is) and set hotplugd to watch it for "link up" (then will be configured).
Reference URL's