Forum

Full Version: Phantom SMB-Shares
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi fellow Xbian users,

Software
XBian version: 1.0 Beta2
XBMC version: 12.2
Overclock settings: default; However according to "vcgencmd get_config int" I think my Xbian overclocks because of "arm_freq=840"

Hardware
Power supply rating: Samsung 5.0V 2.0 A
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): Model B 512 MB
SD card size and make/type: Extrememory (sic) 4 GB
Network (wireless or LAN): Pi with LAN into Switch; Switch into Router
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): Toshiba TV, Network, Kingston USB Stick 16 GB

Logfile
Link to logfile(s): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkecuw1zcbcwv3k/xbmc.log

Problem description:
I can't get rid of (or password-protect and make writable) the Samba shares "usb-stick" and "xbmc-backup-share".
I am not pleased with the read-onlyness and anonymous accessability of it all, so i would like to disable both or at least the usb-drive.

All the other shares were disabled by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf and commenting (adding a # to the beginning) the lines
Code:
include = /etc/samba/user.conf
include = /etc/samba/shares.conf
followed by
Code:
sudo service samba restart

I mount the stick myself using /etc/fstab with this line:
Code:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb-stick/ auto sync,user,auto,rw 0 0

I already disabled automounting in the GUI and checked /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf. There ENABLED=0 (read: enabled equals zero), and is therefore disabled.

Any ideas where those shares could be defined?
@BerryBro,

xbmc-backup-share is small volume dedicated to "drag&drop" backup/restore of XBMC Libraries and Settings. it is defined as service and can by easily turned off in xbian-config -> services -> restore-home

the second share is left over from dynamically added usb storage. normally dyn shares are re-tested / purged on samba restart. in this process /etc/fstab records are skipped - they are considered as needed and wanted. in terminal use "net" tools to list and remove this share.

Code:
net conf listshares
net conf delshare  "usb-stick"
(7th Jan, 2014 10:21 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@BerryBro,

xbmc-backup-share is small volume dedicated to "drag&drop" backup/restore of XBMC Libraries and Settings. it is defined as service and can by easily turned off in xbian-config -> services -> restore-home

the second share is left over from dynamically added usb storage. normally dyn shares are re-tested / purged on samba restart. in this process /etc/fstab records are skipped - they are considered as needed and wanted. in terminal use "net" tools to list and remove this share.

Code:
net conf listshares
net conf delshare  "usb-stick"

Thank you, @mk01!

That did the trick! I left the backup-share, but secured it with
Code:
sudo net conf setparm xbmc-backup "guest ok" no
sudo service samba restart

I don't know whether this backup-security makes sense, but for the moment i am happy!

Also, you do terrific work on Xbian!

Thanks,

BerryBro
you are welcome!

with the guest access nobody will steal your library data / passwords as the backup file is created only on request through xbian-config.

but DoS attack through copying GB's of data to it back is quite real. I planned regular authenticated access only for all shares by default but users asked for continuity with old releases.

"net" command is changing live registry settings for running samba, restarting service is not necessary.
Reference URL's