Forum

Full Version: Can't access ext4 USB HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Software
XBian version: Beta 2
XBMC version: current
Overclock settings: default

Hardware
Power supply rating: > 1Amp
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): B 512MB
SD card size and make/type: 32GB Class 10
Network (wireless or LAN): wireless
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): WiFi and USB HDD

Problem description:
Hi everyone,

I have a strange Problem:
I formated an USB HDD (1TB) with Ubuntu and put my media-files onto that disk.
I unmounted it and pluged it into my RaspPi.
The HDD is listed at Videos --> Files BUT I can't access it. It says something like "Path not found"

I have another USB HDD which is formated as NTFS and it works like a charm.

Any idea what to do?
Can you post the output of dmesg, df -h and mount (Use pastebin for dmesg) as detailed in "Read before you post"

Also can you navigate to the files via ssh - as it could be a permission problem.
dmesg is empty.. dmesg.0 is empty, too

df -h
Code:
root@xbian:/var/log# df -h
Dateisystem    Gr?sse Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingeh?ngt auf
rootfs            30G    3,0G   27G   11% /
/dev/mmcblk0p2    30G    3,0G   27G   11% /
devtmpfs         188M    4,0K  188M    1% /dev
none              38M    468K   38M    2% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p1    34M     14M   21M   40% /boot
/dev/mmcblk0p2    30G    3,0G   27G   11% /home
/dev/mmcblk0p2    30G    3,0G   27G   11% /lib/modules
/dev/mmcblk0p2    30G    3,0G   27G   11% /xbmc-backup
/dev/sda1        917G    210G  661G   25% /media/gigastore

mount
Code:
root@xbian:/var/log# mount
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type btrfs (rw,relatime,compress=lzo,ssd,space_cache,autodefrag)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=191796k,nr_inodes=47949,mode=755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,size=38376k)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,​errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /home type btrfs (rw,noatime,compress=lzo,ssd,space_cache,autodefrag)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /lib/modules type btrfs (rw,noatime,compress=lzo,ssd,space_cache,autodefrag)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /xbmc-backup type btrfs (rw,noatime,compress=lzo,ssd,space_cache,autodefrag)
/dev/sda1 on /media/gigastore type ext4 (rw,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,sync,data=ordered)

EDIT
xbmc.log --> http://pastebin.com/1U7BCrbP

I'm unable to navigate through the folders of that HDD. It says:
root@xbian:/media/gigastore# ls
ls: reading folders .: I/O-Error
it's most likely a permission problem. I just plugged a fresh ext4 drive in my Raspi just to test this and it looks like the default user xbian has no write permissions by default. probably easiest fix for this is to ssh into the Pi.. then do the following:

Terminal
cd /media
ls
###you should see a list of drives which is basically row of numbers and characters. for example my drive has the name 6a7bd302-7014-cf01-6079-d3027014cf01
###when you have found the correct name do this:
sudo chown -R xbian:staff 6a7bd302-7014-cf01-6079-d3027014cf01
#(change the name of the drive to your own). now you should be able to copy files to the drive

it seems like this worked at least for me. hopefully it helps in your case too Wink
Ok - something is wrong.

dmesg should output something.

Can this drive be read on any other machine - Ubuntu excluded? Windoze perhaps?

When did you install Xbian - have you upgraded recently (Last couple of days?)

Can you reboot, upgrade and see if things improve.
(19th Jan, 2014 04:25 AM)freem@n Wrote: [ -> ]it's most likely a permission problem.
No, I can't access the HDD with root neither.

(19th Jan, 2014 04:31 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Can this drive be read on any other machine - Ubuntu excluded? Windoze perhaps?
I only have a Ubuntu and Windows machine. Ubuntu can read, Windows can't because I have no ext4 driver for Windows.

(19th Jan, 2014 04:31 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]When did you install Xbian - have you upgraded recently (Last couple of days?)
My Xbian installations is about 1 week old. So yes, I setup the newest version recently.
(19th Jan, 2014 04:58 AM)pix3l Wrote: [ -> ]My Xbian installations is about 1 week old. So yes, I setup the newest version recently.

and did you make sure to upgrade to the latest version of all packages (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade)? because Beta2 isn't a term for one specific version. there are very often smaller updates and under the hood improvements - that's why it's called "bleeding edge".
I also would like to see the output from dmesg - if there is no output then something else is wrong.
(19th Jan, 2014 05:25 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I also would like to see the output from dmesg - if there is no output then something else is wrong.

Here is the dmesg output:
http://pastebin.com/WMWgcVjL

I'm gonna do a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade as well
Ok, I solved the issue...

It seem that the USB-Cable was somehow damaged.. I tried a different cable and it worked instantly.
I also needed to change the owning user of the files to "xbian:xbian" and that was it...

Thanks for everyone who tried to help.
Reference URL's