Forum

Full Version: (Solved) fStab automount smb/cifs fails (keeps loading XBMC)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I try to mount my smb shares locally, and this works perfectly, using the following commands:

Code:
sudo -i (password raspberry)
mkdir /media/your-share
mount -t cifs -o username=share_username,password=share_password //server/share_name /media/your-share
ls -la /media/your-share

When I use the list (ls) command, I can see all my media.

But whenever I add the following to fStab:

Code:
//server/share_name /media/your-share user=share_username,pass=share_password 0 0

the list is empty.

And when I add "cifs", and reboot the system, the system keeps spinning at the boot screen "loading XMBC"
Code:
//server/share_name /media/your-share cifs username=share_username,password=share_password,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

So how can I correctly automount my smb mount commands?
can you post /etc/auto.master.d/auto.xbian ?

(remove password before)
Hi mk01,

I will do tonight, but just for your information, i have tried this multiple times with a clean installation, only finished the welcome wizzard, so no further configuration has been applied..

[edit] Someone just told me I have to use tabs instead of whitespaces in fstab, can you confirm that, or does that make no difference?
nope Smile)))
ok, I forgot to check the /etc/auto.master.d/auto.xbian file, but what I did do was install raspbmc and try the exact same fstab lines. And that works perfectly. So I do think there is some bug in the fstab cifs mount in the xbian 1.0 beta 2.
@NitSuA

yes, we can assume that.

but to find "the" bug I need to see the file I asked you for.
@mk01, I have scanned the complete device, but there is no auto.xbian file, there even isn't a auto.master.d folder in the /etc folder.
Or do I need to install / update certain packages?

[EDIT]

Ok, now I am completely lost...

Since I couldn't find the /etc/auto.master.d/auto.xbian file, I thought to update the system, both from XMBC Xbian config and from the SSH (started xbian-config as root).

But every try, I get the following error:
"Errors were encountered while processing: autofs"

Please, is there any advice? I really would like to run Xbian, since I still like it a lot!

This is all produced from a freshly installed Xbian 1.0 Beta 2 install, without any changes or extra installed packages.
this is very stupid bug in autofs postinst script which without any check loads "autofs" module. but as you are still on kernel not containing this support (it would be installed a few moments later autofs thi way simply blocks the updates / system / everything.

but as you and me are better than autofs package, we will edit your file [b]/var/lib/dpkg/info/autofs.postinst[/0] (for instance with nano
Code:
sudo nano /var/lib/dpkg/info/autofs.postinst

and on third line after "set -e" will write "exit 0".
then we save (with CTRL+x) and from console start
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

after that you can continue with updates.
Thnx mk01, but I fixed it in another way, based on comments of other users on the forum, namely as follows:

Goto SSL and update system, till you get the autofs error
Reboot
Continue update in SSL (xbian-config)

This way, the system will get fully updated and still boots ;-)
I have the same problem with autofs when upgrading. I tried to edit the autofs.postinst file. But I cannot find it in a newly installed Xbian 1.0 Beta 2.
Should I create that file on my own?
I also tried to fix it by upgrading via SSL. But after it runs into the autofs failure Xbian wount start again.
Hi Aeious,

Please do the following:
  • Clean install of Xbian 1.0 beta 2
  • Update by SSL one by one
  • Once you get the autofs error, exit and reboot
  • The system won't boot completely, but you're able to connect to SSL again
  • Continue updating
  • Reboot once finished

Once the system is fully updated, the system boots correctly and is on RC1.
Please check again for your files at that moment.

Can you tell me if the upgrading is above way works?
It worked perfectly. Now its able to boot again and its on RC1. Thank you.
Only the three python2.7 packages returned an error.
Reference URL's