Forum

Full Version: Streaming music over the internet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I hope this is the right forum to ask my question.
I would really like to stream my music library over the internet.

What I want to do:
- Listen to my music, while I'm not at home.
- Listen to a specific playlist or a specific song.
- Compress quality for better playback on slow bandwidth.

I'm also ok with using a third-party plugin or a special streaming server.

Any ideas on how to do that?
There's a lot of ways to do this sort of thing.

In its simplest you put all the content on a server (or PC), port forward from your router to the storage device and then connect to your public ip when out and about to browse your files (selecting the port you forwarded).

There's lot's of options for software to do this, upnp is one way, my cloud, etc will also be options here. - If you can get free or cheap cloud storage it will double as a backup if your home system were to fail for any reason (HDD, power cuts etc.)...

If you are security concious then look at other options such as port knocking or ssl.

Hope this gets you thinking and searching on the net for more!

Skywatch
(5th Feb, 2014 09:20 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]There's a lot of ways to do this sort of thing.

In its simplest you put all the content on a server (or PC), port forward from your router to the storage device and then connect to your public ip when out and about to browse your files (selecting the port you forwarded).

There's lot's of options for software to do this, upnp is one way, my cloud, etc will also be options here. - If you can get free or cheap cloud storage it will double as a backup if your home system were to fail for any reason (HDD, power cuts etc.)...

If you are security concious then look at other options such as port knocking or ssl.

Hope this gets you thinking and searching on the net for more!

Skywatch

Hey Skywatch,

thanks for your answer.
Well, I want to do that with my Raspberry pi and Xbian.
I thought about installing a shoutcast-server, but the "remote control" of shoutcast is limited. So I thought maybe there is a way to connect via DLNA to my XBMC. I mean XBMC CAN stream music and videos thought DLNA in my LAN. But I could not manage to connect to XBMC via DLNA over the internet. Do you know what ports I have to open in my routers firewall, so that I can connect to XBMC via DLNA?
@pix3l

that is common missunderstanding what DLNA does.

DLNA is sharing metadata, not data. included in that metadata is also original file location. so you get library from XBMC, but the streaming will happen from the file location (the same as XBMC scraped it and is using it for playing the file).

it means you have to open your shares to internet. but this is no way to go.

way to go is using a VPN.
Ok, I have a VPN running and I can access the mediafiles via samba.. but samba is really slow.. so I'd like to avoid mounting my media as windows-network drive and play the files with e.g. VLC.
isn't there a way to play the media files without using samba? e.g. via FTP or SSH/SFTP? and what player should I use?
Reference URL's