Forum

Full Version: Xbian restart in "update mode" (low memory mode)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi:

My experience with XBian is really good, but What happened to me yesterday make me think of a better experience.

So, basically happened to me that with my 256MbRam RPI there is no space for dpkg big packages through apt-get and XBMC and the other services working. (Tried to update from beta2 to rc1 like 5 different times with new image on the SDCard and ended up every time in a nonworking state). Tried to boot with no XBMC and 16MbRam in GPU but couldn't and I don't know why (Maybe its the nice boot screen showing the process).

So, here is my request:
Put in the config a mode to start the rpi with low memory consumption (video and services) so anyone can run programs with high memory consumption like dpkg and gcc compiling.

Thanks! Also want to say Xbian is a great software and I love it.
Have you read the RC1 thread about upgrading? http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2107.html

I didn't have any issues with a 256Mb model A, but you may want to check gpu_mem_256= is not 256 but 100.
Sorry: I don't understand what you mean by:
(28th Feb, 2014 02:43 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't have any issues with a 256Mb model A, but you may want to check gpu_mem_256= is not 256 but 100.

Mine is a BModel from the firsts batches. And for XBMC to work I know the memory is splitted in half.
One issue was: Tried to start with 16MB for video memory and couldn't. And the memory ram lack.
Anyway didn't tried the exact steps from the other thread, but as I say, I'm on RC1, that's not the issue, the issue its about memory. Seeing dying dpkg because of lack of memory.
(28th Feb, 2014 05:53 PM)chochis Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry: I don't understand what you mean by:
(28th Feb, 2014 02:43 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't have any issues with a 256Mb model A, but you may want to check gpu_mem_256= is not 256 but 100.

Mine is a BModel from the firsts batches. And for XBMC to work I know the memory is splitted in half.
One issue was: Tried to start with 16MB for video memory and couldn't. And the memory ram lack.
Anyway didn't tried the exact steps from the other thread, but as I say, I'm on RC1, that's not the issue, the issue its about memory. Seeing dying dpkg because of lack of memory.

Give it more memory than 16MB, try 64MB of video ram.
set gpu_mem_256=100 to confg.txt and reboot.

If your still having problems, post the output of dmesg, config.txt, cmdline.txt and xbmc.log as detailed in "Please read before you post"
(28th Feb, 2014 05:53 PM)chochis Wrote: [ -> ]Mine is a BModel from the firsts batches. And for XBMC to work I know the memory is splitted in half.

what dpkg and apt-get versions you have ? there is a combination of sysctl settings & gpumem and dpkg version which ends up in OOM for dpkg.

there is critical the first pool of Debian updates (dpkg, apt-get, libapt, etc). xbian-update.

After reaching dpkg 1.16.12 I have not seen this to be reported again. for B2 first update the best option is to run xbian-update first as this will set "better" sysctl parameters (dirty cache, swap operations oage sizes, min kernel memory kept as "free").

after this is being set event the crashing dpkg / apt-get was able to finish installs and new versions.
Sorry for not answering before, did not notice the alert.
Well, dpkg was the uptodate at the momento of the post. (Dont know exactly which one)
So, the other day, xbian broke up the whole system and I had to recover from the beta 2 img.
Disabled the xbmc autostart. Changed the video memory to 32 MB and it all worked like a charm.
Maybe that would be a good option. To have a "not xbmc startup" to update/compile/install other softwares...

Can try to reproduce it again if needed.

(16th Mar, 2014 01:14 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]what dpkg and apt-get versions you have ? there is a combination of sysctl settings & gpumem and dpkg version which ends up in OOM for dpkg.

there is critical the first pool of Debian updates (dpkg, apt-get, libapt, etc). xbian-update.

After reaching dpkg 1.16.12 I have not seen this to be reported again. for B2 first update the best option is to run xbian-update first as this will set "better" sysctl parameters (dirty cache, swap operations oage sizes, min kernel memory kept as "free").

after this is being set event the crashing dpkg / apt-get was able to finish installs and new versions.
Reference URL's