Forum

Full Version: GPIO IR Sensor - Not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Software
XBian version: Latest
XBMC version: Latest
Overclock settings: Turbo

Hardware
Power supply rating: 5V @2A
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): Model B 512MB
SD card size and make/type: Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): Powered USB 2 Hub (with USB Flash Drive running the OS), TV via HDMI (older Samsung that does not support CEC), Network drive via Samba share

Problem description:

I ordered these parts (from adafruit) and tried setting up the sensor/remote with the instructions on the wiki.

It tells me to run the following commands via SSH:
Terminal
xbian@xbian:~# sudo su
root@xbian:~# /etc/init.d/lirc stop
root@xbian:~# mode2
And after I run the "mode2" command, nothing happens, and I either wait a long time or reconnect via SSH to do anything. I pressed every button on my remote at least twice, around 5 inches in front of the sensor.

I've tried different things, such as this post related to Logitech Harmony issues, but still get nothing when I try to run the mode2 command.

I tried running (from this thread):
Terminal
sudo modprobe lirc_rpi
sudo kill $(pidof lircd)
sudo mode2 -d /dev/lirc0
but still get no output after the mode2 command.

I ran these commands:
Terminal
sudo lsmod
sudo modprobe lirc_rpi
sudo lsmod
and one of the results was:
Terminal
Module Size Used by
lirc_rpi 4756 3
lirc_dev 6580 1 lirc_rpi
so I think that means the sensor is being detected.

I've changed the wires connecting to the IR sensor several times, making sure they are in the correct place. I used a camera to see if the IR remote was working (and it appears so). I am wondering if my sensor is "dead" or if I am doing something wrong (most likely). Is there a way I can know if the IR sensor is working or not?
No it means the kernel module loaded correctly. If mode2 doesn't output anything when pressing buttons, then your connections are wrong.
(2nd Mar, 2014 09:46 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]If mode2 doesn't output anything when pressing buttons, then your connections are wrong.

I connected the IR sensor the same way it is connected in this diagram. Is this how it's supposed to be connected?
Can you connect a led in between the sensor and the RPi to see if it's working?
(2nd Mar, 2014 07:08 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Can you connect a led in between the sensor and the RPi to see if it's working?
I don't have any LEDs lying around, but I hooked up a voltmeter and was getting 3.3V on the sensor.
That doesn't say anything, because it can be an active high or active low sensor.
Try it on the raspberries 5v power output.

Top right pin instead of the top left.
(3rd Mar, 2014 04:53 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Try it on the raspberries 5v power output.

Top right pin instead of the top left.

Tried that. Still got nothing over mode2. I installed Raspbmc and tried to get it working (both on the 3.3V and the 5V), but mode2 was still giving me nothing. I'm gonna see if I can get the sensor replaced.
I also think the sensor is broken.
Reference URL's