Forum

Full Version: Ridiculous SMB file transfer speed - 10 hours for 4gb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys, Really keen to get amongst this community - love my pi.

So I've got a weird one. Extremely slow transfer speed over wifi, saying it's going to take 10 hours to transfer a 4gb file.

- running XBian 1.0 Beta2
- Wifi sync on computer is at 144 Mbit/s
- Transferring from OSX 10.9
- Drive is 4TB EXT4 formatted - powered
- I've turned off sync in usbmount.conf
- USB transfer speed is ok - 524288000 bytes (524 MB) copied, 19.4418 s, 27.0 MB/s
- Pi is using wifi dongle - this isn't powered
- Pi is using a 5v 1a iPhone changer

So yeah, I know I could use ethernet for both, but it's much for convenient to get wifi working at a reasonable rate.

Another, possibly related point - When downloading with transmission the Pi is practically unusable, SSH takes about 5 seconds to respond and the network share is impossible to navigate.

Any help will be really appreciated, cheers.
Firstly the title is misleading - It's not SMB file transfer that is the problem it's WIFI.

Secondly, your WIFI dongle is unpowered, which means it has to run at 100ma MAX - power it - it should make an improvement, especially if it has to work hard to get a signal.

You'll need to check the throughput of your connection - the RPi is only 100mbps.

I'll try tomorrow on a similar sized file and post my results.
Just out of curiousity, that 27MB/s transfer speed, what do you mean by that? You plugged in a USB stick into the second port and copied files from the HDD to the stick?
I have never ever reached a normal speed using USB to USB copying on RPi.
@zilexa

I'm almost sure it was something like /dev/zero block copied to file on usb disk.

Code:
root@xbian:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/xbian-copy/tmp/ttt bs=1000k count=512
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
524288000 bytes (524 MB) copied, 23.0844 s, 22.7 MB/s

524288000/1024000 = 512
Reference URL's