Forum

Full Version: Intermittent Wifi on RPi/Xbian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Software
XBian version: 1.0 Beta 2
XBMC version: 12.2
Overclock settings: Default

Hardware
Power supply rating: From a Samsung phone.
RPi model: Model B
SD card size and make: SanDisk microSD 16GB inside a PNY microSD adapter
Network: Wireless, DHCP
Connected devices: Audio and Standard Video out, usb hub with Wifi dongle and wireless keyboard/mouse

I'm having trouble getting a consistent wifi connection on my Rpi/Xbian. It seems to connect fine while booting. The time is usually displayed correctly, but by the time it takes to check system info the connection is dropped and no IP is displayed. If I leave the system info screen up it will periodically connect, show an IP, and drop again.

I've had this RPi for over a year and recently upgraded from XBian Alpha 1 to Beta 2. I've had some problems before, but this is nearly constant.

Edit: Tried directly plugging in the dongle as in this thread. It had no effect.

Where do I start with troubleshooting this?
what kind of dongle it is ?

and what is your wifi network configuration ? a/g/n/b free/wpa/wep/wpa2 ?
It's an iogear that i bought along with the pi. My network is wpa2 and I believe b/g/n.

(24th Mar, 2014 06:22 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]what kind of dongle it is ?

and what is your wifi network configuration ? a/g/n/b free/wpa/wep/wpa2 ?
can you post your "dmesg" and "iwconfig wlan0"?
Attached.

(24th Mar, 2014 06:42 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]can you post your "dmesg" and "iwconfig wlan0"?
Code:
ifup -v wlan0

?
It just says "Interface wlan0 already configured". Am I inputting it wrong? I typed "sudo ifup -v wlan0"

Also, wifi didn't connect at all for those first two files. I can copy them again from a boot that actually connected once if need be.

(24th Mar, 2014 07:05 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
ifup -v wlan0

?
(24th Mar, 2014 07:20 AM)3to20characters Wrote: [ -> ]Also, wifi didn't connect at all for those first two files. I can copy them again from a boot that actually connected once if need be.

yes, please
ifup -v wlan0 still returned the same.

Files attached.

(24th Mar, 2014 07:39 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(24th Mar, 2014 07:20 AM)3to20characters Wrote: [ -> ]Also, wifi didn't connect at all for those first two files. I can copy them again from a boot that actually connected once if need be.

yes, please
I have tried with the dongle directly connected and in a powered hub, with and without my bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

I'm considering reinstalling or downgrading.

(24th Mar, 2014 09:49 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@3to20characters

follow please this forum

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=20349&p=201259
and why you have not considered upgrading ?

you have old kernel.
I didn't know I could. I'm running the latest image, how do I upgrade the kernel?

(25th Mar, 2014 05:51 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]and why you have not considered upgrading ?

you have old kernel.
open

xbian-config

go into upgrades

image you created your system from is not important. it's purpose is to deliver a running system to your hardware.

usually you would not need image/re-flash ever again.
Flashed, didn't help. Updated, didn't help. etho0 works. I was starting to think it's the wifi dongle, but I was able to plug that into my laptop and use it.

Edit..... As I was typing this I plugged the dongle back into the (pi's) usb hub and it's working again. I let it run for 10 minutes and restarted it twice and I'm still good. So strange.

(26th Mar, 2014 01:25 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]open

xbian-config

go into upgrades

image you created your system from is not important. it's purpose is to deliver a running system to your hardware.

usually you would not need image/re-flash ever again.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's