Forum

Full Version: [IDEA] htop or nmon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It would be nice to have htop or nmon (or both) included by default in future releases, particularly for those of us doing frequent clean installs for testing. I keep forgetting to install it until i need it, and then I have to start all over again! Confused
do it a bit differently

from clean XBIAN customise according your needs (local install). then create .img backup. for your use. and with each restore you will have your environment.
I just run a script which has all of the modules I need - nmon etc and run it on all development installs.

I agree it would be nice to have, but where do you stop!!

@mk01 How about creating an xbian package for monitoring tools containing the most popular tools - nmon, iptraf, wavemon etc..
yes, virtual package. just was thinking about it.

make a list and I will create the CONTROL file.
maybe add mlocate to the list? pretty indispensable when working from the shell.
as CurlyMo created xbian-package-development, now xbian-package-administration can be created.

just consolidate the packages list and let me know.
General:

nmon - General monitoring tool nmon
htop - General monitoring tool htop

Network:

ntop - General monitoring tool ntop
(* Requires 13M of data *)
iptraf - Real time network statistics iptraf
wavemon - WiFi monitoring tool wavemon
tcpdump – Network Packet Analyzer tcpdump
iftop - "Top" for Network iftop

DISK:

iotop – Monitor disk I/O iotop
*(Would be nice to have but requires I/O accounting enabled in the kernel) *

Also include package sysstat which includes:
- sar: collects and reports system activity information;
- iostat: reports CPU utilization and disk I/O statistics;
- mpstat: reports global and per-processor statistics; (*Not needed - obviously*)
- pidstat: reports statistics for Linux tasks (processes);
- sadf: displays data collected by sar in various formats;
- nfsiostat: reports I/O statistics for network filesystems;
- cifsiostat: reports I/O statistics for CIFS filesystems.

** I would err away from mlocate as it builts it's own index - which can become quite large **
@IriDium

ok, please remind me again if I don't deliver within a week or so.

or event better, look at for instance Curly's DEVELOPMENT package, or simpler xbian-package-x and create new one with these as "template". deal ?
Reference URL's