Forum

Full Version: Stop RPi from triggering HDMI on TV while booting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have bit annoying situation with RPi which is powered by USB from TV. When I'm turning on TV - RPi is booting - but it's triggering HDMI port making TV to set on HDMI which is connected to RPi. This behavior is bit annoying - as in most of the cases when I turn on TV - I'm not watching XBMC - but rather TV. How to turn on "silent start" without triggering HDMI?

I have as well Chromecast which behaves as expected - it's not triggering HDMI untill explicitly called. I'd love XBIAN behave this way as well. There has been number of topic on that forum - but I didn't find an answer - hence new thread.
S.
(21st Apr, 2014 05:10 PM)callmeseb Wrote: [ -> ]I have bit annoying situation with RPi which is powered by USB from TV. When I'm turning on TV - RPi is booting - but it's triggering HDMI port making TV to set on HDMI which is connected to RPi. This behavior is bit annoying - as in most of the cases when I turn on TV - I'm not watching XBMC - but rather TV. How to turn on "silent start" without triggering HDMI?

I have as well Chromecast which behaves as expected - it's not triggering HDMI untill explicitly called. I'd love XBIAN behave this way as well. There has been number of topic on that forum - but I didn't find an answer - hence new thread.
S.

this is well discussed in few threads already so please use search before post. Thanks
BTW your setup is worst combination used for RPi, I mean that you have it powered from TVs USB port.

1st the USB port is not efficient power supply for RPi where its recommended at least 1000mA(1A) and usual USB port is under 500mA

2nd by switching ON/OFF your TV you shutting down your RPi incorrectly what may cause SD card corruption or more issues
As @rikardo1979 said - this is not the perfect set-up.

By powering the RPi via the TV port, shutting down the TV will KILL power to the RPi - and as Xbian is a journalled OS, corruption is inevitable which will make the system unusable.

Far better off using a separate PSU for the RPi or ensure that Xbian is shutdown correctly before powering off the TV. (For you will, even with the best of intentions turn off the TV before Xbian is shutdown). Thus, I and few other people will not support you if you do have problems after that.

However, it is your RPi, do whatever you want.

I believe that if you have a play with the settings in SYSTEM -> SYSTEM -> INPUT DEVICES -> CEC ADAPTER -> "Make XBMC the active source when starting" should stop the problem you are describing.
Reference URL's