Forum

Full Version: Odd lirc issue after dist-upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I am running XBian_1.0_Beta_2, and last night did a dist-upgrade. All works well except for one odd issue with lirc that wasn't a problem before the upgrade. I have a streamzap remote.

If I do a clean reboot (sudo reboot), after xbian reboots, and xbmc loads, none of my remote buttons work in xbmc. irw shows output, and the button info. However, if I run:

service xbmc stop
service xbmc start

After starting and stopping xbmc after a reboot, all the buttons work fine, including the ones that I mapped to do certain tasks. So, my dilemma is, why does my remote stop functioning in XBMC after a complete reboot, and then starts working when stop/start XBMC? Any ideas?

Thanks.
How odd.

Can you confirm you are on Beta 2 and not RC1.

Also please supply output from dmesg and xbmc.log via pastebin

This might show what the issue is.
(23rd Apr, 2014 02:09 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]How odd.

Can you confirm you are on Beta 2 and not RC1.

Also please supply output from dmesg and xbmc.log via pastebin

This might show what the issue is.

version & dmesg

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=1dvsRACn

XBMC log, enabled right before reboot. Log is before starting/stopping XBMC

http://home.comcast.net/~kgoerbig/pi/xbmc.log
Nothing obvious in dmesg about lirc. However it is showing some corruption on your SD card and /dev/sda1.

Has the system crashed recently or not been shutdown correctly? Are you seriously overclocking?

You will need to fix these errors as they could be the cause of the odd behaviour.
(23rd Apr, 2014 09:53 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing obvious in dmesg about lirc. However it is showing some corruption on your SD card and /dev/sda1.

Has the system crashed recently or not been shutdown correctly? Are you seriously overclocking?

You will need to fix these errors as they could be the cause of the odd behaviour.

These issues didn't happen at all in beta2 (before the upgrade), so I decided to go back to beta2. I did use the backup tool, and I copied the backup file from my usb drive to /xbmc-backup/put_here_to_restore. Where is the restore option in xbian-config?
That happens if XBMC was started before Lirc.
(23rd Apr, 2014 11:10 PM)kgoerbig Wrote: [ -> ]
(23rd Apr, 2014 09:53 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing obvious in dmesg about lirc. However it is showing some corruption on your SD card and /dev/sda1.

These issues didn't happen at all in beta2 (before the upgrade), so I decided to go back to beta2. I did use the backup tool, and I copied the backup file from my usb drive to /xbmc-backup/put_here_to_restore. Where is the restore option in xbian-config?

Actually, never mind regarding the restore feature. I didn't realize that once you copy the backup file to /xbmc-backup/put_here_to_restore/ that the restore script running in the background restores it, and removes the file when it is finished.
The Xbian backup option only backs up your home directory NOT the system. So you have not gone back to beta2 (only your home directory)

For a full system backup you have to use the file:/ option in xbian-config -> option 6 or use the btrfs snapshot restore function.
(24th Apr, 2014 02:40 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]The Xbian backup option only backs up your home directory NOT the system. So you have not gone back to beta2 (only your home directory)

For a full system backup you have to use the file:/ option in xbian-config -> option 6 or use the btrfs snapshot restore function.

No worries, I wiped the partitions on my card this morning and dd'd the beta2 image, and then ran the restore of my backup file.
(23rd Apr, 2014 11:10 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]That happens if XBMC was started before Lirc.

I have exactly the same problem, it started since I use an external hard drive for the filesystem.
How can I change this behavior, so that XBMC wait's some more seconds, and that it first let's Lirc start?
Don't know. Thats why I reported it.
(26th May, 2014 08:04 AM)Xbianfan Wrote: [ -> ]How can I change this behavior, so that XBMC wait's some more seconds, and that it first let's Lirc start?

Unfortunately my problem still exists and I'm a bid tired of restarting xbmc manually every time I boot my pi, so I decided to add this two lines
/bin/sleep 180 && service xbmc stop
/bin/sleep 200 && service xbmc start

to /etc/rc.local
It's of cause a dirty work around which restarts xbmc after 180 seconds after a reboot.
If someone knows a better solution I'm glad to hear/read it Smile
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/549

then xbmc will wait for lirc. this USER setting (not hacking scripts) exists since B1, I'm repeating it over and over and apparently it makes no sense.

Code:
cat /etc/default/xbmc
line 3,4 even with description
Reference URL's