Forum

Full Version: Black screen - can't even startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, didn't know in wich thread I should put this, but today I had a huge crash in my xbian, I was watching something in xbmc and suddenly it stopped and freezed in time. After hard reset I don't get even initiation on screen just black blinking screen. I was using it from my usb harddrive, and to check if rasperry pi is ok I change in cmdline to boot from SD Card and it works pretty well, but I had some major updates on my usb harddrive and a lot of time consuming application (like compiling rtorrent 0.9.3), so I would love to make it work again from usb. Is there any way do fix it? by using f.e. btrfs snapshot?

EDIT:
Ok I managed to get it working, I renamed folders @ in my xbian-copy partition to @backup and one of the snapshots I renamed to @. And it seems to work nowWink
Hi,

I had the same behaviour of xbian on external usb drive. A black screen with a blinking coursor in the left upper corner. I followed your advice and restored the previous btrfs snapshot on xbian-copy partition and it works again - for now.

One thing I noticed, is I had some automatic upgrading going on in background. I remember seeing something like "Silent upgrade" in top a night before. Now, still during a day I know xbian was running cause I received a mail from it, but few hours later the screen was black (I don't think there was a coursor blinking then just yet. The blinking coursor came only after a restart.)

In the last snapshot before it failed I have a package to be updated: xbian-package-usbmount 1.0.5-5 (1.0.5-6). Coincident?

Anyway. There is an option in xbian to disable auto-updating. Probably in my quite customized image that I have it could be a good idea to disable this option and run manual and controllable updates by hand only.

Kind regards,
Yeti_z
Reference URL's