Forum

Full Version: How to limit cache (or caching) size (solved)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I want to limit my caching / cache size so a specific value when streaming from Http (using plug-ins like 1channel).

Is that possible? If so what file or files i need to edit?

Running the latest Xbian RC (always updated)
Pi model B, 512 RAM.

Thanks.
if you would like to play with buffer size of cache you find it in advancedsettings.xml file
(6th May, 2014 05:07 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]if you would like to play with buffer size of cache you find it in advancedsettings.xml file

Ok thks, but my file only contains the following:

"""
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
<curlclienttimeout>45</curlclienttimeout>
</network>
<gui>
</gui>
<videoscanner>
<ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors>
</videoscanner>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
<visualizedirtyregions>false</visualizedirtyregions>
</gui>
<destroywindowcontrols>0</destroywindowcontrols>
<useddsfanart>0</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>
"""

Besides the cachemembuffersize (that is already at zero) i dont know what to do to limit the cache...
I think you should be using <buffermode>3</buffermode> which is no buffer for video files.

<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> is used to cache to the local disk (No RAM used)
Mine is 20971520 <cachemembuffersize>20971520</cachemembuffersize>
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Lots of info there.

I have mine set as:
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Comment: Default is 1 -->
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Comment: Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Comment: Default is 1.0 -->
</network>
(7th May, 2014 01:32 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I think you should be using <buffermode>3</buffermode> which is no buffer for video files.

<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> is used to cache to the local disk (No RAM used)
Mine is 20971520 <cachemembuffersize>20971520</cachemembuffersize>

So if i use <cachemembuffersize>value</cachemembuffersize> it will use the RAM instead of the SDcard? does this have any impact pn local shares (NFS,SMB,Upnp)? Because i dont want caching on local shares...

If i use Buffermode 3 will i loose all caching abilities for HTTP video stream?

Thks .

(7th May, 2014 01:42 AM)Smultie Wrote: [ -> ]http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Lots of info there.

I have mine set as:
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Comment: Default is 1 -->
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Comment: Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Comment: Default is 1.0 -->
</network>

Thks for the link mate. Going to read and see if i can find what i want Smile

Edit: ok thks for the help Big Grin. i was able to limit the cache to 20MB on internet files and disable for local shares Smile
Reference URL's