Forum

Full Version: Frame rate reporting bug?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Much to my surprise I was able to play a Hi10p video without much issue on my Pi. (There was only slight artifacting in certain scenes) I decided to dig a little bit more and noticed something strange. When I went into XBMC's codecinfo (the o key on the keyboard, look at the row that starts with W), it was reporting around 10fps +/-3fps. The video didn't look like only 10 fps so I decided to try a few other videos that were not 10- bit encoded. Both 1080p and 720p h.264 videos showed up once again as <10fps in codecinfo. Can someone else check their video files to see what the output from codecinfo is for them?

Also, what's the current status with xbian for hardware decoding. I haven't been able to find any solid answers about that. Thanks!

EDIT: rechecked, I'm actually getting a HIGHER average reported frame rate from 720p 10bit video than from a 720p 8bit source.
h264 hi aac 2.0 1280 x 720 on 1920 x 1080 screen. mkv file. DAR 16:9

DTS & AC3 passthrough

fps: ~10fps

No news on hardware decoding. Xbian since RC1 has no real need for it, as all videos seem to play without problems.
(15th May, 2014 04:45 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]h264 hi aac 2.0 1280 x 720 on 1920 x 1080 screen. mkv file. DAR 16:9

DTS & AC3 passthrough

fps: ~10fps

No news on hardware decoding. Xbian since RC1 has no real need for it, as all videos seem to play without problems.

Do you know if that's an accurate report? If it's actually 10fps I'm surprised it's as watchable as it is.
That's what "O" reports - dropped to 7.55 at one point

Video is certainly watchable.

No idea if accurate. I'm on Gotham, so will need to check the same file on Frodo and Windoze VLC
Ah. Did some searching on other distro's forums. Turns out that the XBMC wiki's descriptions are not worded well. Despite it saying it's the video FPS it's actually the FPS of the GUI layer. The actual framerate should be locked to the video's framerate and if it's having issues rendering it'll show up under dropped or skipped frames.
same here.
videos are watchable but it shows 7-10 fps.
bigger issue for me the gui is running with 2 fps.
kind of laggy Big Grin

edit: after a reboot it shows about 25 fps as usual and after a period of time it's dropping to 2 fps
@all
I would err on relying on the on-screen information.
ssh into you RPi and run top or install nmon to getter a better idea of what is "actually" happening.
just fyi: issue gone. I don't know what solved it. I didn't do anything but logging in via ssh and searching for updates (none found).
strange.....
glad it works again xD
@all

the FPS counters are working as designed. I was already responding to that question from Smultie in another thread. Officially RPI should display ~60fps on GUI render, <10fps at video watching. of course it is not displaying FPS.

I found it http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1770-post-18252.html#pid18252

RPI is bypassing GUI render when playing movies so the actual FPS is unrelated to movie decoding / displaying FPS.
Reference URL's