Forum

Full Version: Choppy video on fresh install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Confused Huh

I have XBian 1.0 Beta 2 installed onto a class 10 SD.

My video is a MP4 with H264 encoding, resolution is 1024 x 576
File is 1.5GB. Plugged a USB 2.0 memory stick straight onto the Raspberry.

The video plays but every 1-5 minutes the video will pause for half a second.

Xbian already overclocks and I removed any Wifi issues here by plugging in straight. What could the issue be? Where does one start.

Secondly, I am a little disappointed that the Linux distro's with XBMC is a watered down version in terms of the codecs it supports. It is not as simple as plugging in and view. You have to convert to the correct formats and you are limited to 1080p.
Hi, please use SSH (for instance Putty) and update the device till all the updates are installed.
(to update, follow the steps of the update in chronological order)

You wil experience some issues during updating, please post back what you experience and once fully updated, please try again.
shouldn't be choppy at all, even full hd videos with dts and high bitrate should play smooth.
there are many possibilities why it is not on yours.it can be caused by lack of power from your PSU, slow SD card, slow USB, badly coded movie, etc...
and why would you be limited to 1080p? and there is plenty of supported codecs, to be honest i haven't found a single file which wouldn't play
Same problem for me. I've been using Xbian with XBMC 12 for many months, perfect. I did upgrade on this week-end to 1.0beta2 (XBMC 13) and the playback is jerky (hangs maybe once per 1~5 minutes for about 0.5~1 second). I also tried with a fresh install - same issue.

Quite disappointed by this upgrade (except for the XBMC enhancements).

moved back to Raspbmc, much better ! Same versions, same settings, but perfect playback.

I've seen few differences in /boot/config.txt:

XBian:
#initramfs initramfs.gz 0x0a000000
gpu_mem_512=128
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=1
disable_splash=1
arm_freq=840
core_freq=275
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0

Raspbmc:
arm_freq=850
core_freq=375
force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=128
disable_overscan=1
start_file=start_x.elf
fixup_file=fixup_x.dat
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

Hope it heps. On my own, I will stay on Raspbmc until Xbian can playback correctly.
Can you supply the output from dmesg, vmstat 5 20 (whilst playing the video) and xbmc.log via pastebin.

I have the same distro and have had no issues. Can you post somewhere a snippet of the video?

What is you setup? As requested in "Please read before you post"?
@IriDium

maybe it is the same problem it was once with Beta versions of Gotham and older firmwares.
Reference URL's