Forum

Full Version: Change to the website registation process
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When registering to use the forum, you have to go through a certain process to agree to certain things - bla bla bla.

I would like to change it slightly so that:

Add "Please read before you post" link in the register part of the Xbian forum is highlighted in RED

and then

By continuing with the sign up process you agree to the above rules, you have read and understood the "Please read before you Post" thread and yhou will obey any rules that the Administrator specifies.
Failure to comply can have your account suspended.
Well, unfortunately registration process itself seems to be a mess!

I just registered here 'cause I wanted to ask a question concerning a problem I have. I received an activation email and I could activate my account. I can log in and I can edit my user settings. However I cannot post a new thread, I can only reply to already existing threads. If I want to create a new thread I'm redirected to a page that tells me I'm lacking the required rights but it doesn't exactly explain why. On the login page I'm always confronted with a red frame that states I was new to the forum and I should read the nettiquette, even after logging out and back in 20 times.
As I couldn't create new threads I decided to contact the team by clicking on "Contact Us" in the footer. I sent and email there asking for help with above problems. However my email returned with a mail delivery failure:

"This is the mail system at host zandbak.johanv.nl.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below."

This is not really inviting to new forum members, is it? Things don't work as intended and there's no way for new members to get into contact Angry

So this reply is my last attempt to draw attention to myself. If this fails as well I'll propably give up... Sad

Cheerz

Don
Sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with the site.

The registration process had to be changed to try and stop spammers posting all over the place.

Rest assured that this is a friendly bunch and any problems you have will be quickly responded to but I cannot do anything about the site settings etc. I will post for the mods to take a look for you.

What is the problem you have?
(7th Nov, 2017 08:45 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Rest assured that this is a friendly bunch and any problems you have will be quickly responded to but I cannot do anything about the site settings etc. I will post for the mods to take a look for you.

I have written that already above. I can reply on threads but I cannot create a new thread. A click on "new thread" will always redirect me to a page that states I'm lacking the permissions.
(7th Nov, 2017 09:12 AM)Don Pedro Wrote: [ -> ]
(7th Nov, 2017 08:45 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Rest assured that this is a friendly bunch and any problems you have will be quickly responded to but I cannot do anything about the site settings etc. I will post for the mods to take a look for you.

I have written that already above. I can reply on threads but I cannot create a new thread. A click on "new thread" will always redirect me to a page that states I'm lacking the permissions.

@Don Pedro , before you do not have more than 2 posts you are not allowed to create new threads
(7th Nov, 2017 09:12 AM)Don Pedro Wrote: [ -> ]

As mentioned before, newcomer is not allowed to create new threads! This is one of the most efficient way how to stop spammers flood the forum with spam.

Every new registered user is asked to reply to existing threads. After a certain amount of replies you become 'Registered' user. This level brings you the ability to create new threads.

As you have contacted us through our email I have manually adjust your account now. So from now on you can create new threads.

Thank you for understanding
(7th Nov, 2017 10:25 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]As mentioned before, newcomer is not allowed to create new threads! This is one of the most efficient way how to stop spammers flood the forum with spam.

Sure, spam is a real plague, definitely!

(7th Nov, 2017 10:25 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]Every new registered user is asked to reply to existing threads. After a certain amount of replies you become 'Registered' user. This level brings you the ability to create new threads.

OK, I see! Would've been helpful if this is written somewhere prominently though. Didn't see that anywhere...

(7th Nov, 2017 10:25 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]As you have contacted us through our email I have manually adjust your account now. So from now on you can create new threads.

Thank you for understanding

Thanks for enabling! Cool

And yes, of course I do understand. Lots of spam quickly annoys users and makes a forum unusable Undecided

Cheerz

Don
Reference URL's