Forum

Full Version: Xbian reboots while playing mp3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Confused After a long struggle with a i2c display i finally had everything running smooth ,
but now i suffer with a new problem when i start playing mp3 sometimes i can play 1 or 2 files and even in some occasions a full album but then Xbian reboots

I have no problems with playing 1080p movies with DTS so it seems not to be a power problem
(ac is 1 amp)

because i had done a lot with the image i decided to install a clean image of xbian RC2 without any extensions but also then MP3 fails constantly

is this a known bug (i searched the forum but can't find any other with the same problem)

i am running the mp3 from a SMB share on my NAS (the same i use for my movies)

any help is welcome
Certainly not a known bug.

Have you upgraded to the latest release?

Can you post via pastebin xbmc.log.old and dmesg.

Also, if possible, the mp3 that you are playing - or at least a snippet.

Can you also try copying the mp3 to a USB flash drive and try playing them from there.
(10th Jun, 2014 01:47 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Certainly not a known bug.

Can you also try copying the mp3 to a USB flash drive and try playing them from there.

thanxs for the reply
it is indeed not the xbian that is making the reboot,
I started again from scratch and then i could play several albums
but then i installed the Adafruit display with lcd proc and then it goes wrong
on movies or browsing there is no problem but running MP3 seems to crash creating a reboot
now i have put the configuration on the backlight to dim while playing mp3 and then it seems to be running fine (but needs a bit more testing)

you should say that is is a power issue but i run the raspberry on a decent power adapter with more then 1 amp

also playing movies on 1080p ,Dts and the display running works perfectly it is only happening with mp3

i will dig a bit further but without much knowledge of Linux it is a pretty hard job but i won't give up
Big Grin

Grtz
Handjebij
(11th Jun, 2014 08:20 AM)handjebij Wrote: [ -> ]

thanxs for the reply
on movies or browsing there is no problem but running MP3 seems to crash creating a reboot
now i have put the configuration on the backlight to dim while playing mp3 and then it seems to be running fine (but needs a bit more testing)

you should say that is is a power issue but i run the raspberry on a decent power adapter with more then 1 amp

also playing movies on 1080p ,Dts and the display running works perfectly it is only happening with mp3

i will dig a bit further but without much knowledge of Linux it is a pretty hard job but i won't give up
Big Grin

Grtz
Handjebij

Sadly Angry now mp3 playing also reboots with backlight off

posted my logs on pastebin

xbmc.log.old
dmesg

Confused does not seem to be right hope you can help me out in the good direction
(11th Jun, 2014 09:35 AM)handjebij Wrote: [ -> ]

thanxs for the reply

Big Grin

Grtz
Handjebij

xbmc.log.old
dmesg

Confused does not seem to be right hope you can help me out in the good direction

seems to be some issues with the LCD and BTW I do not see in the log that you actually started any MP3 playback you have mentioned? are you sure you get the right log out?
I would look at the power supply. The model B needs at least 700ma and if the additional components could draw even more.

It could also be a voltage drop if too much current is drawn.

Have you got a 5.25v 2amp power supply to use?
(11th Jun, 2014 10:34 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I would look at the power supply. The model B needs at least 700ma and if the additional components could draw even more.

It could also be a voltage drop if too much current is drawn.

Have you got a 5.25v 2amp power supply to use?

Smile hmm ad your advise i tapped the power from a old computer power supply and indeed it look likes it is working now
the power supply i used was 1.25 amp and measured stable but it seems that encoding a mp3 on a raspberry pi draws more power then a 1080p hd movie with dts ? did not suspect that but hey it is working now , so i stop complaining Wink

(11th Jun, 2014 09:18 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11th Jun, 2014 09:35 AM)handjebij Wrote: [ -> ]

thanxs for the reply

Big Grin

Grtz
Handjebij

xbmc.log.old
dmesg

seems to be some issues with the LCD and BTW I do not see in the log that you actually started any MP3 playback you have mentioned? are you sure you get the right log out?

i also found it strange it did not show up in the log but at the moment it looks like it was the power supply 1.25 amp was not enough so for the moment thanxs for the reply and if it is rebooting again i dig in the log again

but i think this topic can be closed
Angry Grrrr sadly but true problems again !
2 albums did play fine (total of 42 tracks) but now it is back again
Raspberry is not over heating ,and now the power supply is changed

back to the drawing board ,
Gonna post the Xbmc.log.old again maybe someone can help me out

Is there anny other member with a adafruit i2c lcd display ?
if so how did you setup the display ?

grtz
handjebij
I would get out your multimeter and check the voltages between the pins when the adafruit is connected. Also look at the amps without and with and see what current is being drawn.

Just because a PS says something it may not be true - manufacturers are like politicians - they lie.

Also the lcd could be faulty!!!

Are you running any visualization with the playback?

What I would do is run ssh in multiple windows.
1) dmesg (have to refresh manually)
2) tail -f -n 10 /home/xbian/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
3) top

Play your mp3 and monitor the output.

Something might shown up. But I guessing this is H/W not S/W
(13th Jun, 2014 04:44 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I would get out your multimeter and check the voltages between the pins when the adafruit is connected. Also look at the amps without and with and see what current is being drawn.

Just because a PS says something it may not be true - manufacturers are like politicians - they lie.

Also the lcd could be faulty!!!

Are you running any visualization with the playback?

What I would do is run ssh in multiple windows.
1) dmesg (have to refresh manually)
2) tail -f -n 10 /home/xbian/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
3) top
Play your mp3 and monitor the output.

Something might shown up. But I guessing this is H/W not S/W

thnxs for this advise now i have to something to play with
Hardware is now a bit hard to believe because i did some tests on 2 raspberry's and also have 2 adafruit i2c displays . power is for sure not the case that is absolutly stable
measured the power and even with the display running it is not using more then 900 ma
but the AC connected now can handle 3500 ma

my guess is that i messed something up with the installation of the driver or LCDd (see my other thread)
gonna monitor the output to night otherwise start from scratch again
must be something really small or stupid because like i mentioned earlier a 1080p movie with dts and the display on is not giving a single failure or reboot

grtz
Handjebij
I'm just looking for similarities to my issue...
Do you have the same issue with FLAC files?
Are you sure that is your RPi reboots or it is xbmc process respawning?
Do you have the same issue with LCDd daemon disabled ?

Thanks.
Sorry to bother you guys, this thread seems to be related to MP3 audio format? I have a question. Recently I got an audio file titiled with .caf and I couldn't play it in VLC. So, after I searched on the internet, I read this article about caf to mp3 (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/caf-to-mp3.html). As you can see, it asks me to convert CAF to some more compatible formats like WAV and MP3. But I have no idea why after the conversion, my audio quality gets decreased, no matter what i do with the sample rate and bit rate. Is that because the .MP3 is a compression format?
Reference URL's