Forum

Full Version: Noob question, get a script running at boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to Xbian, but not to linux/unix. I installed xbian on my raspberry pi model b 512mb and I have a question (probably one with a simple answer). I want to do this mod while running Xbian:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30347&p=430009

My question is, how can I get the code mentioned in the link to run at startup to run my fan. I plan on doing some overclocking and I just like the idea of a fan on there.

Thanks everyone
Simple question, Why?
(13th Jun, 2014 04:13 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Simple question, Why?

Because I really really like doing that sort of stuff, and some airflow is always better than none.
I never heard someone overheat their Raspberry Pi Smile
(13th Jun, 2014 04:49 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]I never heard someone overheat their Raspberry Pi Smile

It's more of a lifespan thing, but how can it be done?
How, don't know. But i do know that any fan is useless. Cooling wise and lifespan wise.
Great way to double the power usage though!
Why not just wire it directly to the 3.3v output on the gpio pins. It will run a lot quieter than using 5v.
(13th Jun, 2014 08:11 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just wire it directly to the 3.3v output on the gpio pins. It will run a lot quieter than using 5v.

I want to be able to control the fan speed, it's more of a gimmick than a real feature.

I guess no one knows how, since everyone is too obessed with telling me how useless it is but no answer to my question.

Again, can I compile and run code like I can in any other linux build, in Xbian?
Quote:Again, can I compile and run code like I can in any other linux build, in Xbian?
Yes.

We just want to make absolutely sure that no users get the impression that having a fan has any use at all. That's why we repeat it that much.
(14th Jun, 2014 12:58 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Again, can I compile and run code like I can in any other linux build, in Xbian?
Yes.

We just want to make absolutely sure that no users get the impression that having a fan has any use at all. That's why we repeat it that much.

Okay, noted. I want to know how. When I press shift during boot up, I get a a terminal-like interface. I haven't tried doing anything in there yet. Is there a Linux desktop GUI somewhere in Xbian? Can I maybe add it? If so, how?
Hola huibert, welcome to XBian! Cool

XBian is based on Raspbian (based on Debian) - so yes, you can do almost everything you can do also with Debian.
If the terminal (and of course the XBMC GUI) of XBian isn't enough for you, I would recommend: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1850-post-18439.html

That way you can also use the normal user interface (LXDE) of Raspbian.
Probably you can do it also the other way - install the missing packages under XBian - but why don't just use the HOWTO. Wink

Quote:Noob question, get a script running at boot

You can do this via init-script, rc.local or on user login (e.g. .bashrc)...
So the same methods like on Debian and other UNIX OS. If you need more help, just ask for it.
It's quite simple, I have it running using HOTPI See http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1864.html?highlight=hotpi. This uses a daemon to control the fan speed and a control program to decide when to switch the fan on/off or whatever speed.

The scripts are held in /etc/init (I think, or init.d) and are in an upstart format.
Thank you for that reply. I took a long hard look at it, but the way you connect the fan on hotpi is different than what i want to do. I want to know how to use the code specifiek in my OP so that i can control a fan directly. I just want to know how to compile and run the code. In xbian
I don't know where you are from or what your inclinations are, but "I want" does NOT bear well with in a free forum.

I, for one, will not assist in this thread any more.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's