Forum

Full Version: Sound from Rpi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have the Rpi setted up with the xbian.
My setup is pi-->tv--->(throug spdif)5.1 sound system.
From my tv i can pass true dts or Doubly digital.
When i try to play a movie from pi (2012 mkv 10 giga with dts) i cant get dts i only get pcm.
Am i doing something wrong in the settings or it is not possible that way?

My tv is Samsung TV 48'' UE48H8000
@nikos134

normally the connection should be PLAYER(RPI) -> AV/SOUNDSYSTEM -> TV.

usually TVs doesn't handle nonPCM streams on input. they do on output because of DVBT/C standards. if your 5.1 soundsystem is not AV set (so you don't have more (HDMI) inputs and HDMI TV out), just speakers with input & decoder, then unfortunately there is no "nice" way.

I have two Samsung TVs and both are working like this. It is even written in documentation.
(2nd Jul, 2014 10:30 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]@nikos134

normally the connection should be PLAYER(RPI) -> AV/SOUNDSYSTEM -> TV.

usually TVs doesn't handle nonPCM streams on input. they do on output because of DVBT/C standards. if your 5.1 soundsystem is not AV set (so you don't have more (HDMI) inputs and HDMI TV out), just speakers with input & decoder, then unfortunately there is no "nice" way.

I have two Samsung TVs and both are working like this. It is even written in documentation.

I have an av set (i dont know that if is that what i mean) it is a system (radio /dvd/...) that has input spdif and other inputs but not outputs. (the 5.1 setup it is old.) So if i can pass it through tv can i use one of hdmi spliters that i get video and audio in spdif?
@nikos134

yes, that would be probably a way how to do it.

niko, there should be this problem few times discussed - I remember one guy with exactly the same idea initially (why RPI -> TV -> 5.1 won't work) and (because it simply WON'T work because TV can't handle this) for sure there started this discussion about splitters.

the search doesn't work well on web, but you can through google
Code:
"search term" site:forum.xbian.org
Reference URL's