Forum

Full Version: Root Password on Alpha 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has been covered, did do a search and couldn't find exact issue.

Setup is working great but I have two things I could use a fix for.

1. When using WinSCP to setup new directories, I can't login under 'root' with the default password. I've enabled it via Xbian-config but 'raspberry' isn't working.
2. my Screen calibration is resetting after reboot.

Any advice on fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew
Specifically on point one, I want to add a directory of Background images which is accessible within settings - appearance - skin - settings - Enable custom background. (It doesn't allow you to add a source within this path) so I need to be able to add a folder either in the home or root folder.
Ok Self-fixed Smile

Got the folder with background images into the Userdata folder via Winscp (permissioned allowed this) then ran the following:

Code:
sudo su password:raspberry
mv /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/Backgrounds /home/Backgrounds

WIN Big Grin
nice1 Wink thanks for share
it may help others, you never know
Cool
Login as root is disabled by default.
Even if you change the root password,the root account still wont work over SSH or SCP.

How to re-enable SSH/SCP login as root:

Set root password: sudo passwd root -> enter xbian user password -> enter new root password -> repeat root password
Enable SSH root login -> sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_conf -> search the "PermitRootLogin" string and set it to yes (if it's commented out remove the # in front of it.
Save the file (Ctrl + X) -> Y -> Enter
Reboot

You now should be able to login as root over SSH/SCP.

Greetz
what is the default root password. 'raspberry' is not working.
I have root login enabled.
You first need to set a custom root password in xbian-config, 'cause by default it's not set.
(21st Jan, 2013 10:11 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]You first need to set a custom root password in xbian-config, 'cause by default it's not set.

Then I guess it would do to allow 'PermitEmptyPasswords'
I want to do one click operations from my android e.g. restart
We are not supporting empty password, so you need to set that by yourself.
Ok, txn.
Reference URL's