Forum

Full Version: Failed to open /dev/disk1, are you sure the SD cards hardware lock is off?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've used several different RPi XBMC distros over the last few years but finally settled on Xbian as my favorite, which I've been using exclusively for about the last 9 months. My SD card got corrupted by an improper shutdown, so I re-formatted the card (as FAT) and have been trying to re-install it. I downloaded the latest installer from xbian.org today.

I keep getting the error message when trying to install xbian to my sd card, and the lock switch is not on. I've tried 4 different cards, 3 different card readers, and two different computers (both Mac OS X 10.8.5).

I even tried the Windows and Linux installers (via a virtual machine) but had no luck getting those to work.

I tried downloading the xbian image file, and using the CLI to dd the data to the card, but the RPi wouldn't boot.

I tried to find an older release of the installer (the one I used months ago, thinking maybe the latest version isn't compatible with my computer OS) but I couldn't find anything on source forge.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!
I can't answer for the Mac installer as it won't run on my old Puddy Cat 10.4.

I've never had a problem with the installer on XP but I wonder if a VM may not have the low level access required for image writing (I could be wrong).

You could try the latest "test image for the B+) http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/images/xbian-image-rpi-20140721.img.xz and use dd to write the image.

If is still doesn't boot, edit /boot/config.txt and comment out with # the initramfs statement, save and try again.

If you're still have issues, post cmdline.txt and config.txt as they may be corrupted.
I can reproduce this. An updated OS X installer should appear on SourceForge shortly. Your Raspberry Pi not booting is a different issue, though.
Reference URL's