Forum

Full Version: Unexpected error while saving network settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm a beginner with XBian and, generally speaking, with the Raspberry but I was able, following various sources on the internet, to succesfully configure RaspBian to use the ethernet interface and activate XRDP through which I can connect to it via RDP from my Windows 7 pc.
Yesterday I went to buy a new SD card where I installed XBian, activated the video composite output (I don't have an HDMI monitor at the moment) and succesfully booted.
Since I would like to "drive" XBian through my smartphone (XBMC app) I went to the network configuration menu to set a static IP configuration.
When I saved the settings a small popup on the lower right corner appeared reporting "an unexpected error occurred" and everything switched to "DHCP".
I tried several times but the result was the same.
So I changed the SD card and booted with RaspBIAN, put the SD card to an USB reader and mounted on RaspBIAN.
I then edited the file "interfaces" in the "/root/@/etc/network" adding the same lines of the "interfaces" of the RaspBIAN, saved the file and closed everything.
I booted then with XBian but when I went to the network configuration menu everything was set as default (DHCP).
Did I write in the wrong file? Why that "unexpected error"?
Thank you, regards.

Roberto
First thing I would do is to perform an upgrade.
From a ssh shell - use xbian-config to perform the task - System upgrade.
Then use Option 2 -> 3 Network interfaces and set the static IP there. That always works for me.

If you have a Raspberry B+ you'll need to upgrade the kernel - see the forum for details
(3rd Aug, 2014 09:30 PM)washburn_it Wrote: [ -> ]I booted then with XBian but when I went to the network configuration menu everything was set as default (DHCP).
Did I write in the wrong file? Why that "unexpected error"?

if you edit interfaces manually, XBian should use it the same way as Debian/Raspbian. It fully follows it's structure and workflows.

So regardless of the config program failing, do you have static IP set on the system now?
(for the config tool, upgrade - at least xbian-package-config-shell)
Reference URL's